(concerning the Sir Sengir filter) Is it just me?...

macks2008

...or is the fact that "Sir Sengir" (without the space) gets filtered to "SirSengir" going A BIT overboard?

Here's the timeline I'm familiar with on the forest(ry) fire debate:

1. Sengir made a mod

2. It was not removed, despite the fact it did not have permission (whether or not you were trying to get permission, including it before you get permission is still 'disrespectful'). I realize removing it would have broken worlds that used it, but the same applies to removing mods like millienaire (not that I object to removal of that waste of computation resources)

3. Sengir added technic detecting malicious code in response to the said 'disrespect'

4. All hell broke loose

small disclaimer: I take no sides other than the truth. Reply accordingly.

I think it's pretty funny, besides who cares about sir buttivere of dumbtable? it's one thing to ask us to remove the mod, it's another when you put the code in just to be an asshole. I think calling him sir buttivere of dumbtable is well earned after he tried to 'destroy' us.

I think it's pretty funny, besides who cares about sir buttivere of dumbtable? it's one thing to ask us to remove the mod, it's another when you put the code in just to be an asshole. I think calling him sir buttivere of dumbtable is well earned after he tried to 'destroy' us.

^This. If he had asked for it to be removed, it would be different. And the whole permissions thing is really down to the Yogscast, since it wasn't meant to be a public pack (at the time) anyway.

Well, I've been doing modding/level design for about a decade, perhaps longer. So I feel I should share my insights on this.

When you release a mod or other content into the public domain, there is always the chance people will attempt to steal it or use it without permission.

There are people who create things and like to keep tight reigns on content. I am not one of them, but I certainly see where they are coming from. After spending a lot of work and effort to create something it's reassuring to know it's going to be used well, and there's a feeling of deserved authority over one's work.

While it may not be illegal or immoral to use someone's work without their permission, it is an indecent act, and disrespects the author of the content. So it is understandable that the author of Forestry retaliated. It is his work after all.

I should mention that just because something is in the public domain, a person isn't entitled to use it as they please. And at the same time, it is advisable to modders to get a CC license to protect content.