Server Host Deal - Need Recommendations

Abysinian

Hi there,

I've been with my host since I first started my server but I've been running into some issues with them, the main ones being hardware and their file system reverting to Read-Only making my server unusable until I inform them and they fix it. I won't name names but I want to change.

I've been searching all day and have, what I believe to be, a good offer of:

• 16GB DDR3 RAM ECC
  • SSD (Waiting on reply from the host as to the capacity and model)
  • 3.4GHz Octa-Core Intel Xeon E3 (Waiting on reply from host as to the exact model)
  • 1 Gbps Connection
  • Non-Dedicated (probably sharing with 1-2 others)
  • $128/mo

This would be an improvement over my current server for the ECC on the RAM, going from a HDD to an SSD and a very significant improvement in the CPU performance (as long as it isn't hampered by having to share; my current server is dedicated).

I was wanting to run this by other owners out there and see what you thought about the deal and also if you had any counter-suggestions.

Cheers!

Hi there,

I've been with my host since I first started my server but I've been running into some issues with them, the main ones being hardware and their file system reverting to Read-Only making my server unusable until I inform them and they fix it. I won't name names but I want to change.

I've been searching all day and have, what I believe to be, a good offer of:

• 16GB DDR3 RAM ECC
  • SSD (Waiting on reply from the host as to the capacity and model)
  • 3.4GHz Octa-Core Intel Xeon E3 (Waiting on reply from host as to the exact model)
  • 1 Gbps Connection
  • Non-Dedicated (probably sharing with 1-2 others)
  • $128/mo

This would be an improvement over my current server for the ECC on the RAM, going from a HDD to an SSD and a very significant improvement in the CPU performance (as long as it isn't hampered by having to share; my current server is dedicated).

I was wanting to run this by other owners out there and see what you thought about the deal and also if you had any counter-suggestions.

Cheers!

16 gigs? Octa core? lulz. Overkill much?

16 gigs? Octa core? lulz. Overkill much?

Well at it's peak my server can have 60 people online and 10k+ chunks loaded. On average we have 30-40 online and 5-8k chunks loaded and we want to keep expanding. We have the money and plenty of donations coming in and we want to switch hosts so now is a good time to do it.

Well at it's peak my server can have 60 people online and 10k+ chunks loaded. On average we have 30-40 online and 5-8k chunks loaded and we want to keep expanding. We have the money and plenty of donations coming in and we want to switch hosts so now is a good time to do it.

my server hosted by enchantedhosting.net can handle that easily (2 gigs of ram)

dreadslicer will (hopefully) have multithreaded MCPC done soon. Octacore would be ideal then..... (5 threads + worlds*4), so I say go for it. Good-bye low TPS and hi large player cap (assuming, of course, he gets the final kinks out of the server code... looks almost done, though)

I've been using TekkitRestrict and watching it closely but hadn't even thought of this! Now I really can't wait to make the upgrade :D

From the comments of the bukkit plugin (which dreadslicer is using as a development blog, evidently ;)):

[News0.9(summation)]

• Added Daily Flight time Limiter (Limits number of minutes a player may fly using a ring or jetpack per day) [Untested]
  • Added hooks for Towny, Factions, PreciousStones [Untested]
  • Added option to set right click disabled in SafeZone [Untested]
  • Added Dupe detect on (Q) itemdrop for alchemy bag [tested]
  • Added Vanilla/Mod recipe remover [tested]
  • Added Anti-Fly hack [tested]
  • Added Anti-Movement speed hack [Tested] (Part of fly hack, can change speed to 6x lag out server w/ overloading chunks)
  • Added Metrics custom graph plotters
  • Fixed SafeZone Bug
  • Did a thorough search to make sure all lists are Thread-Safe.

• Spigot-MCPC-MultiThread V0.9
  • * * Somewhat stable... Chunks are loading too slowly.

[Planned 0.9]

• Anti-Forcefield [Mid-coding stage, complex]
  • Groupmanager support
  • LWC Protection. (Helps prevent players from "Pumping" chests via pipes without other's permission)

This was an update from 6 hours ago, so I would say he's coming along pretty nicely, looks like last bit is to get chunks loading a bit faster. The source is on GitHub (I linked it earlier), so if you're pretty familiar with java/maven/git it's possible to compile the source and give it a whirl. I just got home, setting up everything to come together while I sleep although at the rate dreadslicer has been working it'll probably be changed again when I get up.

Compiled. I don't think its fully functional yet. Kept getting all kinds of errors. Areas wouldn't tick. Would not suggest it yet.

[sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.World.a(World.java:2469)

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.World.doTick1(World.java:99)

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.serverTick(MinecraftServer.java:57

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at dreadend.multithreading.RoundThread.run(RoundThread.java:20)

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 116

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.World.a(World.java:2469)

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.World.doTick1(World.java:99)

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.serverTick(MinecraftServer.java:57

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at dreadend.multithreading.RoundThread.run(RoundThread.java:20)

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 14

2012-09-27 11:12:23 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.World.a(World.java:2469)