Pumping Oil

Contaro

Hi there,

I'm trying to pump oil using a pump (duh) and 4 steam engines. Stone Waterproof pipe out of the top going into tanks etc etc. I've made a basalt platform too.

Basically, the pump only goes into the oil reserve a little way and wont pump oil out even though the steam engines are all going.

The reserve of oil I've found goes down a long way in one block wide column into a huge pool thing. It is also intertwined with a river.

So why isn't the oil being pumped out? Thanks.

You need a waterproof transport pipe, not just a normal transport pipe. http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Waterproof_Pipes

Also, 4 steam engines seems like a bit overkill for a pump. 4 redstone pipes would be cheaper, and once they fully warm up, will pump stuff out at a reliable rate.

EDIT - *grumbles* I miss the forums saying "Hey, someone posted while you were dragging out a huge reply. Are you still sure you want to post?"

• Moderators

I once had a problem that water got into my oil well and my pump wouldn't work. I built a wall to try to isolate the water from the well and tried removing any water blocks that disturbed my pump.

This was on the first technic, so I don't know if that issue has been fixed

Are you using waterproof pipes?

You need a waterproof transport pipe, not just a normal transport pipe. http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Waterproof_Pipes

Also, 4 steam engines seems like a bit overkill for a pump. 4 redstone pipes would be cheaper, and once they fully warm up, will pump stuff out at a reliable rate.

EDIT - *grumbles* I miss the forums saying "Hey, someone posted while you were dragging out a huge reply. Are you still sure you want to post?"

Yeah I am using waterproof pipes, just a typo, sorry.