How do i change minimum ram?

AttackOfManMan

Question

Launcher Version: 0.5.4.8 i think

Operating System: Mac Osx, not sure how to be descriptive

Java Version: i have java 7 but also java 6 in both 64 and 32 bit, minecraft only works off of java 6 64 bit for some reason but thats irrelevant.

Antivirus Program:

Description of Problem:

Alright so i play through this launcher alot and i frequently get massive lag and out of memory problems. Even though i allocate 2gigs from the technic launcher options section, when i press F3 it says 2036M total and only 186M allocated. I hear people say that if minecraft needs more memory then it will take it from that total and allocate more, but the problem is that it doesn't.

So i understand that using the command

"java -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m java tekkit.jar(or whatever else)"

will raise the MINIMUM amount of allocated memory to minecraft.

when i do this though it igores my command and reboots with the value of

-Xmx2048m and it does not use the Xms command which changes the minimum allocation of ram as we all know.

So simply said:

i wanna know if theres a way i can launch the technic launcher with more minimum ram.

is there some sort of file that says which command to input and if i can access that and add a -Xms2048m?

anything would be appreciated.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

6 answers to this question

Just to clarify, in the launcher options there is the option to allocate more ram ( I assume you know but I ask to cover all the bases) Generally the Launcher will not allow you to allocate more than you comp can handle. If you are running a 32 bit system there is a cap that can cause issues if you allocate too much. You could try allocating less (sounds counter intuitive but it has worked for some.)

i understand that there is the option to allocate more ram on the launcher like i have said in my post. but allocating it that way only changes the max amount of ram that minecraft can use, i want to change the minimum amount of ram and my computer is 64 bit and i have 8gigs of ram. also i tried your suggestion of allocating less but unfortunately it did not work for me.

i just wanna change the minimum amount of ram that the launcher starts with

The minimum is the "-Xms1G". You can change it to anything, like "-Xms512M" or "-Xms256M".

The maximum is the "-Xmx1G". You can also change it to everything, but the memory usage will never go above it.

Thanks for the attempt but like i said in the first post, i already tried using that and it says:

WARNING: Rebooting with [java, -Xmx2048m, -classpath... etc

so when i try to change it through terminal or something my command gets overridden by some other file and only ends up using -Xmx, which is as you stated the maximum value, not the minimum

and i want to know if i can change that file that overrides my command and add a -Xms1024 to it

Im pretty sure that Java doesnt work that way.

I have been told that regardless of the amount you set for minimum usage it will still use the amount it needs and no more

(man i hope that made sense )

Say if you allocate 2gb minimum and the program only needs 512mb it will only use 512mb and will continue to use more as it needs it.

If this wrong someone with more knowledge of Java please feel free to post the correct information, I'm just starting on the Journey of Java and have much to learn.

Thanks for your input grindle!

well i used to use the vanilla minecraft and i would launch it with the command:

java -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m -jar minecraft.jar

and when i used that it would allocate the max 2 gigs and when you press F3 it says 2 gigs of the total 2 gigs are allocated.

so yes you can set the minimum, but in a sense you are right as well because the program will only take what it needs but it wont take anymore thats allocated (obviously) and for me with technic it says i have 2 gigs of ram free for minecraft but it only allocates 286 megabytes.

I am bad at explaining things so i hope that made sense