Combustion Engine issue

Pyros

Hello,

I am pretty new to all this so I did not want to post in the bug forum as I assume it is user error.

Everything was running fine having a blast until I tried to setup a combustion engine, so this is what I did and I need someone to tell me why it is not working please.

Combustion engine put down and filled with water and oil via buckets , lever on wall next to it, a wooden conductive pipe affixed to the top (blue bit), use the lever and combustion engine does its animation but interestingly unlike all the videos I have seen no fine blue light.

At this point I assume it is because I did not connect pipes to something I want to run.

Using golden conductive pipe I try to link from the wooden conductive pipe to a MFE unit It does not seem to connect but maybe that is just a graphical issue I just take the golden pipe closest to one of the blank faces (the one with the brown circle is the output I believe), nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong ?

You need to have the golden conductive pipe going in to an energy link, and from that some cables going in to the MFE, because buildcraft energy and IC2 energy are different, thats why you need an Energy link, hope this helps.

The Energy Link is only for EU->MJ conversion. You're looking for the Engine Generator buddy.

And yes, the face with the brown dot is the output side for IC2 cables. Remember to use a LV transformer right if you hook this up to your LV machines!

Combustion engines are a pretty terrible way to make EUs anyway.

I suggest simply building a plain generator and burning your coal or whatever in that, hooked directly to your MFE.

Edit: sorry, I confused steam engines and combustion engines. Still, fuel -> EU is not a great way to start for beginners. I'd still stick to one mod only, for now

Thank you all this worked, managed to get 4 combustion engines working, cooled and all fun stuff like teleport pipes.

My main issue is in two parts now I can not find a sustainable oil source for the combustion engines is there something I am missing in the placement of my pump because most are lasting less than a day and drying up.

I want to power my quarry so my questions are.

A)Am I doing something wrong in setting up my pumps (multiple oil sources) using transport pipes all seems to work fine till the oil dries up really quickly even from a spout of oil.

B)Would it be simpler to setup a solar array and convert that energy to the kind that a quarry can use.

Create a refinery to refine the oil into fuel and this will last a lot longer than oil by itself. You can also use the combustion engines to power the refinery, and pump the fuel back to the engines to have it in a loop and then split off some of the power to get your quarry going. I'm doing this at the mo and it works a treat.

Of course there are better methods than combustion engines but I quite like the whole process.

Thank you all this worked, managed to get 4 combustion engines working, cooled and all fun stuff like teleport pipes.

My main issue is in two parts now I can not find a sustainable oil source for the combustion engines is there something I am missing in the placement of my pump because most are lasting less than a day and drying up.

I want to power my quarry so my questions are.

A)Am I doing something wrong in setting up my pumps (multiple oil sources) using transport pipes all seems to work fine till the oil dries up really quickly even from a spout of oil.

B)Would it be simpler to setup a solar array and convert that energy to the kind that a quarry can use.

A)Can you show your setups? It still would be better to build huge towers of tanks and storing the oil in there for later use. And by the way, fuel (refined oil) is much better. I would only use a steam engine or one bucket of oil in a combustion engine to make one bucket of fuel and then run all of your combustion engines on fuel.

B)Yes. Much simpler, because you just have to place the solar array next to the Energy Link (or by wire) and extract the BC energy from the energy link using a wooden conductive pipe and golden conductive pipes.

Thank you for the input, I decided on a huge bank of water strainers linked to 5pumps+ redstone engines then into a mf > energy link and boom quarry working although the sea around my house has dropped a level lol :).

Another question now hehe how do I install a texture pack, I know how to select it but it is a HD pack and thus I tried to set it up via mcpatcher but my game will not load now, maybe something to do with going through the tekkit launcher, is there anythinng I should know.