Advanced Insertion Pipes & Alchemical Chests

Thundyuk

Hey up,

I did a few searches can't find owt definitive.

I tried setting up an insertion pipe and alchemical chest kind of affair. Thing is I noticed when the alch chest was full, the insertion pipe was still putting things into it but they just disappear!

Is something wrong or do they just not work together? I replaced the alch chest with a normal chest and it started to work as it should - but ofc, normal chests are small :)

Thanks for the help kinda pulling my hair out. These chests are great be a shame if they aren't compatible...

Some pics

pic1.png

pic2.png

I guess they aren't so advanced after all, eh?

My suggestion is stop using crappy BC, and switch to an advanced mod, instead of an advanced pipe. Just use RedPower, and you'll never have any items go missing or have to worry about things spilling on the floor or bizarre pipe logic ever again.

I guess they aren't so advanced after all, eh?

My suggestion is stop using crappy BC, and switch to an advanced mod, instead of an advanced pipe. Just use RedPower, and you'll never have any items go missing or have to worry about things spilling on the floor or bizarre pipe logic ever again.

I wouldn't say that at all. Buildcraft is one of the best mods out there compared to the hundereds of shitty minecraft mods posted to MCF every week. To use Buildcraft correctly requires some understanding and pre-planning of item flow. The most common problems arise from people not knowing what they are doing and forgetting to set up item loops. That being said, compared to the others, Buildcraft is in no way a crappy mod. Even better, it is open source. That makes it better than Redpower in my book.

This appears to be an incredibly easy bug to reproduce. I recommend searching through the EE and Buildcraft forums to make sure no one has posted this yet. If no one has, then go to the Technic home page to find out what versions of the mods you are using and post those version numbers along with your bug report on their respective bug report forums.

If you don't want to go through the effort of submitting a bug report, you can always just wait for Buildcraft 3 to be ported to bukkit and included in the Technic/Tekkit packs. Buildcraft 3 includes logic gates that can be placed onto pipes. For example, you can set up an iron OR gate to detect if the inventory is full and then either send out a redstone or redpipe (redstone that runs directly along pipes) signal.

Fine, that's a reasonable argument. So it's the second best tube mod out there. I still see no reason to spend an hour fixing the shortcomings of the second best mod when I already have the best tube mod installed on my machine right now, which doesn't cause any of the problems in the first place.

And whether or not it is open source is completely irrelevant to anybody except programmers who are interested in contributing (of whom there don't seem to be very many, or they would have fixed all these things such that they didn't even require special "advanced pipes" in the first place)

Apparently, from the rest of warp's post, your options are:

1) Wait for several months perhaps for all the mods to update so that the new buildcraft gets ported and included. At which point you get to learn how to use a whole bunch of different unnecessary pipes. OR

2) use the mod already installed in tekkit that has all of that basic pipe logic already built into the pipes themselves (or much more intuitive and color coded sorting machines for more complex stuff), and don't wait any time at all.

Yes you're right that if we didn't have BC or RP, our third best option would be something even worse than either of those 2 above. But that doesn't make option #1 any more attractive compared to option #2.

Hmm...

Some mods are designed to work with Buildcraft, such as Forestry and Thaumcraft. And Buildcraft has this awesome addon Logistics Pipes, which I like because of it's ability to request items where ever you are.

Redpower is good with handling overflow and item control. But I don't want to build a huge complex machine which extracts a number of an item to send it to a crafting table MK2 to craft something.

Now I build microsystems using Redpower, mainly for my resource processing, and I use Logistics pipes for combining all the microsystems to make a huge crafting network.

But I don't leave the "dumb" Buildcraft pipes alone. I still use those for other things as setting up small portable work stations and for my huge power reactor.

So yeah, don't only use one type of system, but combine multiple ones! (Don't make huge cthulhu-like networks. Keep it clean and compact.)

EDIT: Stupid me, didn't see that this is in the Tekkit section.

Logistics pipes are nice, I agree. However, logistics pipes are not part of tekkit. So right now, you still have the choice:

1) Wait months and months until you can actually use that feature (without modifying your server and making it vastly more difficult for players to connect) OR

2) Do the same thing with very slightly more effort with a mod that already exists in the standardized modpack.

If and when logistics pipes are added, I will certainly endorse limited use of BC to take advantage of those in appropriate scenarios.

Some mods are designed to work with Buildcraft, such as Forestry and Thaumcraft.

Also not part of tekkit and thus not really relevant.

ALSO, you have to keep in mind that by the time these mods are released in stable SMP, etc. to be included in tekkit, it is entirely possible that Eloraam will have also upgraded HER mod to do many of the same things. Logistic pipes still won't be a reason to use BC, if in three months when they actually get added, RedPower has already introduced 3 different new and better ways to handle remote item requests, etc. It's impossible to say.

Have you tried putting items into the chest from the bottom or sides?

My only issue with buildcraft pipes is how slow the redstone engine pulls items and the ridiculous fuel requirements of the other engines if applied to the mundane task of extracting things from chests. My solution is to never use them. I use the Immbis buffers that output a stack at a time. I replaced a buildcraft sorting / processing setup with redpower tubes. It ended up four times the size. Diamond pipes are so much more space efficient than sorting machines.

Yeh I tried multiple sides it's the same. I just don't think they work together.

I replaced them with diamond chests and all is well now.

I agree the RP pipes / sorting machines seem better I will look at those at some point too :)

I thank you for your replies all.