im getting a popup error message and cant use tekkit or technic

krashnak10

Question

Launcher Version: 3.1.2

Operating System: i dont know im running windows xp 32 bit

Java Version: jre 7

Antivirus Program: avg

Description of Problem:

i get a popup saying Updater has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience and i cant figure out how to get it to work ive gone to roaming and looked for .technicpacklauncher or whatever and theres only a logfile

Error Messages:

Updater has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

Error Log:

there arent any the log folder is empty

Download the zip in the same place as the exe (IIRC its the Linux/jar) It is best to use something other than Internet Explorer to download it (if you use IE you will need to change the file extension to .jar instead of .exe)

Technic is only for 1.2.5 and use the edit button next time.

a have the similar problem, tried what u said and it works. Thanks very much Jorcer. Do u have any idea why is that doing?

I recently upgraded win7x32 to win7x64 because i bought extra ram specially for tekkit.

And i see that many people have problem with that luncher.... is that something wrong on technicpack.net ?

anyway its working now thanks again Jorcer

As far as I can tell, it's a different variation of this:

Opening the .exe does nothing, or flashes a loading icon, or says "checking launcher version" then closes.

This is a Java issue. The most common cause is using 32 bit Java. If your Operating system is 64 bit, make sure you update to the latest 64 bit version of Java. Links on www.technicpack.net.

If no matter what you do, the exe just doens't work, go to your .techniclauncher folder and there should be a .jar in there. If not then download

it from www.technicpack.net and use that. Read further up the list for how to determine the bit version of your OS or JAVA.

Mixed with (I think) a little of this:

I've tried everything but I still can't get it to work with my 32 bit OS.

Not sure what to tell you. A temporary fix could be to use the .jar instead of the .exe which seems to work

for most people. If we manage to isolate a common cause to 32 bit OS issues then we'll update with a real fix.

I believe that the problem is being caused by some unknown link between the users encountering the problem. But it's been very difficult to try to establish what exactly is shared between people with this problem. Many people get very hostile when we tell them they are either a. breaking the rules or b. haven't provided enough information.

The .jar downloading as a .zip seems to be an IE issue.

It could be that people are downloading an incorrect version of Java, or downloading a bad file.

I'm hesitant to believe that the problem is because of the actual launcher or the website. I recently needed to have a clean start to fix an issue logging into my server, and I haven't had this issue.

I'd just like to point out that people get hostile because you (ash) and Jorcer like to look down on the noobs, and you are all very very arrogant. I mean seriously people who type sigh when dealing with someone who doesnt know as much as you really is arrogant.

Here is an idea guys, if you can't help the guy asking for help, why not just not reply. I looked through a lot of threads looking for solutions for things, and ash and jorcer come up in a lot of them, usually with "don't double post" or "use correct grammar", or "learn to make a proper bug report". And not one solution to the issues me and many others have been having. Its kinda funny really.

a have the similar problem, tried what u said and it works. Thanks very much Jorcer. Do u have any idea why is that doing?

I recently upgraded win7x32 to win7x64 because i bought extra ram specially for tekkit.

And i see that many people have problem with that luncher.... is that something wrong on technicpack.net ?

anyway its working now thanks again Jorcer

@wastipk, This guy seems to be pretty happy. I have only seen you around lately here getting angry because you couldn't follow the rules and got berated. Pro Tip: There is a reason you have a pink name and that avatar and I have this hand drawn one from ValkonX11

We cannot provide good solutions, or even make an attempt to find a solution if we cannot understand what the poster is saying.

Said perfectly here:

So you are virtual parents.

basically, yeah. it's rather depressing to me, but it's how it is.

We are not modders, we are not forum mods. We just try to help the community understand that rules are there for a reason, and most new forum posters don't understand how to communicate.

We do try to prevent people from being kellered (as you are) by telling them they are doing something wrong. This usually happens when people admit "I did something wrong, I am sorry, I still want help".

However, when people become aggressive, repeat offenses of the rules, or are just plain idiots, they get kellered or kitty jailed.

Want help, try not attacking all of the threads we have tried to assist in.

You guys have already told me that I'm not getting help because I'm too stupid to post in the right section, so what have I got tolose, no offence, but I haven't actually seen you or Jorcer come up with a solution that hasn't already been suggested.

I'm not attacking all the threads you try to assist in, I am looking at threads for a solution, only to find that you two are there, being as unhelpful and antagonising as usual.

@Jorcer, like you have said many times, one just needs to use google for that work around (not a solution). And I have a pink name, because I do not know the admins, and you do.

Its a good way of just voiding someones opinion before you've even heard it, they.ve got a kitty jail or stupid newbie so they must be just a troll or someone not worth listening to, when the truth is a lot of people have been marked out by this, and its almost always because you toy with them until they get angry.

And I have a pink name, because I do not know the admins, and you do.

I don't know about J, but I don't know the admins, I just try to follow the rules. And when I find I have broken a rule, I apologize.

Kitty jail-cannot not post, banned from forums.

Kellered-proven one cannot follow the rules.

So yes, we won't give you as much credit as the guy without the pink. Break the rules, get punished. It's as simple as that.

You're rude, and after looking at your recent postings, you blatantly do not follow the rules.

You said you were stupid, not me.

You guys have already told me that I'm not getting help because I'm too stupid to post in the right section, so what have I got tolose, no offence, but I haven't actually seen you or Jorcer come up with a solution that hasn't already been suggested.

I'm not attacking all the threads you try to assist in, I am looking at threads for a solution, only to find that you two are there, being as unhelpful and antagonising as usual.

@Jorcer, like you have said many times, one just needs to use google for that work around (not a solution). And I have a pink name, because I do not know the admins, and you do.

Its a good way of just voiding someones opinion before you've even heard it, they.ve got a kitty jail or stupid newbie so they must be just a troll or someone not worth listening to, when the truth is a lot of people have been marked out by this, and its almost always because you toy with them until they get angry.

The reason I have't come up with a solution that hasn't been suggested is because the ones that have been suggested have been working. I have been getting plenty of PM from people thanking me for my help. All you have done is whine about how you are being mistreated instead of taking intiative to make a bug report and be patient enough to wait for someone to help you. Have you tried the solutions that I have been posting?

Also, by definition a solution works, so why wouldn't I post it when I see problems that are usually fixed by these solutions?

EDIT: Wait I know Cheap Shot! Really!? That is so cool.

No I believe it was Jay who said I didn't deserve help because I am stupid originally. Now if only I could continue navigating these forums without running into you two I might just not tear all my hair out.

Nope it was you:

I'm stupid and I don't deserve help, cool cool. Thanks for that.

Sorry folks the formatting on my reply has gone screwy, especially numbering.

Hey “bride” (is a noobie allowed to call you that). I know that you’re only trying to be helpful, but there is just so much disinformation in your post that I HAVE to comment.

Opening the .exe does nothing, or flashes a loading icon, or says "checking launcher version" then closes.

This is a Java issue. The most common cause is using 32 bit Java. If your Operating system is 64 bit, make sure you update to the latest 64 bit version of Java. Links on www.technicpack.net.

If no matter what you do, the exe just doens't work, go to your .techniclauncher folder and there should be a .jar in there. If not then download

it from www.technicpack.net and use that. Read further up the list for how to determine the bit version of your OS or JAVA.

1. It’s NOT a Java issue. The latest version of Java is ‘bit’ agnostic. There’s only one version to download, not separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so it’s not possible with the latest version to end up with the ‘wrong’ version
  2. If you have a clean install and get the “stopped responding” message from the .exe then there is no .jar file in that folder
  3. It’s hard for non-technical people to download that .jar when it is not being served correctly by this site to IE users, and gets corrupted. Yet another barrier to using the workaround

I've tried everything but I still can't get it to work with my 32 bit OS.

Not sure what to tell you. A temporary fix could be to use the .jar instead of the .exe which seems to work

for most people. If we manage to isolate a common cause to 32 bit OS issues then we'll update with a real fix.

1. See 2 and 3 above

2. I have tested this on Windows 32-bit XP, Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium, and Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. The "stopped responding" message (different error on XP) and corruption of the .jar to a .zip occurs in all environments on IE 7, 8 and 9.

I believe that the problem is being caused by some unknown link between the users encountering the problem. But it's been very difficult to try to establish what exactly is shared between people with this problem. Many people get very hostile when we tell them they are either a. breaking the rules or b. haven't provided enough information.

1. Agreed that the cause and the link between users is not understood, [so not a complete deconstruct then ;) ]

2. Agreed that people are getting hostile, but perhaps that's partly because:

1. of the failure of any of the launcher developers to acknowledge that there may be a problem, rather than the cause being "stupid" users

2. the workaround being suggested is hard to achieve for non-techical people because people like you trying to help assume that they have a .jar file when they don't

3. if they try to get the .jar file, it gets turned into a .zip for IE users

4. repeated insistence by various "helpers" that the conversion of the .jar to a .zip is Microsoft's fault and people who use IE are stupid, when in fact it's a bad configuration on the technic server (and let's face it whatever you think of IE it still does have the largest market share source:http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/internet-explorer-takes-unexpected-jump-in-market-share-185575)

4. suggestions here that the anti-virus software could be a cause, and that anyway the version of the anti-virus software they are using is "wrong", neither of which is true. I believe I've actually seen more people here post about how removing a particular spyware from their systems has got rid of reported problems, than peope saying that switching off their AV software has fixed their problem.

It could be that people are downloading an incorrect version of Java, or downloading a bad file.

I'm hesitant to believe that the problem is because of the actual launcher or the website. I recently needed to have a clean start to fix an issue logging into my server, and I haven't had this issue.

1. Denial does not really suit somebody who is setting themselves up to try and help ;)

2. There are just so many people here posting that they have the latest Java.

3. The .jar being mangled by IE into a .zip is NOT an IE issue, it's a technic server issue which I have already proved, and posted a suggested fix.

Phew! Rant Over!

Maybe we should look at this from another direction and get input from people who DON'T have this problem like you. My guess is that the people who are reporting issues have had a recent security patch to Windows installed that has caused the .exe to stop working. You don't have problems, have you by any chance disabled Windows Update? When was the last time you let Microsoft patch your Windows? What version of Windows and Java are you using?

@Jorcer, I have a pink name, because I do not know the admins, and you do.

this is not why you have a pink name. if that's what you think, you are sorely mistaken. you have a pink name because you broke enough rules enough times to earn it for yourself. jorcer does not do that, and thus stays out of trouble.

he happened to be targeted by one really stupid idiot which earned him the nickname of viking hacker, which I personally find hilarious. this forum does not work on a "it's who you know" kind of basis, you don't get away with shit because you know the admins here.

edit: about the .zip thing, I just did some testing and simply renaming it to .jar appears to work.

Then maybe the common problems sticky needs an update. ;)

So come on bride spill the beans.

Maybe we should look at this from another direction and get input from people who DON'T have this problem like you. My guess is that the people who are reporting issues have had a recent security patch to Windows installed that has caused the .exe to stop working. You don't have problems' date=' have you by any chance disabled Windows Update? When was the last time you let Microsoft patch your Windows? What version of Windows and Java are you using?[/font']

At the very beginning, I think it needs to spell out what troubleshooting steps should be taken by users having problems. It shouldn't be required (spelling out that to get to 4, first you have to count to 1-2-3) but so many people don't know very basic solutions.

DRY411S, I only assume that it's user error because the user doesn't provide the information to prove otherwise.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, on a Toshiba satellite (yes a laptop, yes needs more ram.. awfully expensive for a laptop)

I update my computer when it tells me to. Not immediately, I look into what it's going to change to make sure I don't run into any security issues, or possible blocking of games (this, wow)

I use the following anti-bad stuff programs: Avast! Home free edition, superANTIspyware, and MalwareBytes. I deleted Norton as soon as I could, and disabled my firewalls as soon as I installed World of Warcraft.

My launcher version is 1.0.1.3

My Java is version 7, update 7 x64.

I use Firefox for my browser (for some dumb reason it's installed because, come on really, IE just doesn't cut it.

I defrag my hard drive and optimize my disk space once a week.

Edit: I wouldn't be able to do this:rlF3K#12obCAR.jpg

with internet explorer.

Other pictures didn't go, here they are: http://imgur.com/a/rlF3K#0

it really does, to be honest.

I did PM Cheap with some changes to it but I suspect he just deleted it thinking I was another idiot PMing for help. I still have the changes though some are now outdated. I would be happy to help in updating it.