Disconnect.overflow error

I'm hosting a tekkit server just for me and a friend, and have been for a few months. However today after playing about an hour the server started to kick me and my friend out and the server says "disconnect.overflow". also my client's cpu usage jumps from about 15% to as high as 85% on my i7 2600k and I get massive fps lag before I disconnect and every time I log in until I get kicked out again.

tried restarting the server, my PC and the client several times with no effect.

After that I loaded a backup from the last time we played and it worked again, for about an hour. After that we had the exact same issues. We haven't been adding any machines or anything, and the ones we have have been working without issue for quite a while now so i don't think that's the problem. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

A forest fire seems very unlikely, we haven't had thunder at all and nothing else that burns. an item spill is a possibility, we do use buildcraft pipes, mostly with insertion pipes so it shouldn't spill, the only places we don't use those we don't have a whole lot coming in. certainly there isn't anywhere where a thousand items would pop out within 5 minutes, I mean, I assume that's the kind of numbers we're talking about?

Far less than that, really, but Minecraft nowadays auto-stacks similar items so it will need a great many items to actually generate so many stacks that it significantly hurts performance.

Guess the only solution for now is to load that backup again, and monitor all your machinery and activities exactly. Also check your CPU load regularly to see if it starts to increase gradually at some point. You should definitely start looking then.

Itemspill in that magnitude will also create serverlag. If this only happends in some areas, and after X seconds of playtime its most likely overfilled RP tubes. If they are filled with to much items they woll give the client a stack.overflow error resulting in a disconnect.