Just bought and need advice

CoheKrat

So I just got the game and want to build and construct many things. I'm working professional photographer at the age of 33 living in NYC. Have been a gamer most of my life and want to join and learn from a serious community how to play/hangout within the game. Can someone please advise me as to which server would be the best fit for me to then ask if I may submit myself to potentially join? Thank you and sorry to bother.

Do you have any specific recommendations? I went through it and it is confusing to say the least. Also I have been playing solo and watched hundreds of hours on YouTube. I am looking forward to learning as a sudo apprentice of a pro, if possible.

DEFINITELY start with vanilla MC. Crafting recipes are second nature to me now, but when I was a n00b I had to go to the wiki page every time I needed to craft something. Learn the basics of Minecraft before you try to tackle Tekkit.

Mod Edit: Banner removed.

My very small server. We're pretty good at Tekkit. PM me if you want to be whitelisted.

Really? Personally I think it would be easier to learn it all together than to play minecraft plain before tekkit. There are some things you have to unlearn from Minecraft when you pick up tekkit.

Well you never want the learning curve to be as steep as in EVE Online. People tend to be overwhelmed when they see all the items (mainly micro blocks) and don't know were to start. Playing vanilla at least teaches them to build a 3x3x3 dirt hut with a wooden door and a torch before night falls.

Well you never want the learning curve to be as steep as in EVE Online. People tend to be overwhelmed when they see all the items (mainly micro blocks) and don't know were to start. Playing vanilla at least teaches them to build a 3x3x3 dirt hut with a wooden door and a torch before night falls.

Eh as long as you don't go sifting through NEI too much right at the start, you shouldn't get too overwhelmed. I recommend only using NEI or the wiki when you decide there is something you want to accomplish, in order to figure out how to best do so. Tekkit starts out much the same as standard minecraft, with the exception of having a few more resource types available.

I'm with the "play vanilla first" crowd. I have two reasons for saying that.

1) you learn the base game, so you can understand and appreciate the changes and additions brought by the mods. if you don't have a baseline, you may have no idea why piping items around is a good idea, or what a redstone signal is in even the basic sense.

2) it gives you time to learn the basics of the game, without all the extra frosting on top. there is a LOT of information that you have to digest about just the base game itself. seriously. it's only getting bigger as time goes by, too. throw in all the mods on top of that and you'll be buried under features and recipes so badly that you may never dig your way out.

I'm with the "play vanilla first" crowd. I have two reasons for saying that.

Just bear in mind that the modded game will be missing some of the things from the base game, since the base game is pushing ahead, and the mods haven't caught up yet.