Balancing out my Server.

Etogaur

I am currently Beta testing my server with about 10 players. We have most of the plugins running now hence we are not in Alpha.

The problem I have, is the economy.

Basically a couple of players exploited blaze rods in order to get massive amounts of MK3 collectors. This of course wrecks any notion of a buying/selling system. They weren't kicked because I didn't know about this until they told me and since it was Alpha it doesn't matter.

I don't want to fully disable EE but I know I am going to have to remove/restrict parts of it to make the server better for everyone (Long term)

Can anyone help suggest items to get banned/limited and how I might go about this.

Currently on my blacklist is

-Terraformers, No need and they lag

-Water Strainers, caused a lot of problems on a server I used to be on

-Turtles, I just don't want them.

-Rings/Amulets whatever they are called that allow people to PvP without PvP'ing

(I would be grateful if you could list some for me)

-Collectors - this part is where I am wondering what to do. MK1 collectors with a limit of 3 is one possibility. How would that affect balance?

I want to remove Mk2 and 3 because they are just so OP for anyone to have.

Finally

-World Anchors, can they cause lag?

Thanks

Eto

There is a patch for fixing the blaze rod and bone exploit. It changes the dust emc values to 1/5th the rod/bone values. And I do consider it an exploit. Link here: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/ee-blazerod-macerating-patch.22302/

As for collectors... it depends what you're trying to balance them against. You can easily set up a few quarries at the same time that will outclass a mk1 power flower. My server, I run it with a limit of one power flower of 17 collectors per person. You'll need a lot more limits if you want to run a balanced economy though, getting rid of condensors and transmutation tablets for a start.

And world anchors... yes they can cause lag. It depends how many people you have on your server. It's like having every person who ever played on your server playing all the time (if they placed a world anchor).

It is completely impossible to have a fair economy with transmuting.

I wrote a long post on this somewhere so I'm not going to write it over again, but as long as you can transmute stuff, you will never have a good economy.

World anchors load 9 chunks. A player loads something on the order of 2 or 3 hundred chunks. World anchors in and of themselves do not cause lag. However, a common problem is that someone builds a machine, puts down a chunkloader and logs out. Since they aren't watching their machine, something goes wrong and it starts dropping thousands of items on the ground. Then you have a lag problem.

Thanks for patch link :)

Ok well I'll keep anchors since the server memory to player ratio is good.

1GB to about 10 Players.

I want people to use more mining and machines than Power flowers. So allowing 1 MK1 is ok by me.

I know how hard it is to balance an economy on Tekkit but it is not so bad without Free Diamonds every second :P