Moding the Technic Launcher

prothseda

[edit]

I know this isn't exactly the place for it, but "moding" is as close to anything this forum offers, except maybe offtopic

[/edit]

So, we have that nice dropdown selection of modpacks to choose from; Tekkit, Technic SSP, Yogsbox, etc.

While adding your own modpack to your launcher is apparently an intended future feature, I was thinking about using the Technic Launcher for my own purposes. Since we are free to "dig in and fork" I was hoping to modify what the launcher downloads.

I seem to have found where the launcher gets it's file from which will make finding the code easier, but I was wondering if anyone can point out a few things for me.

This page contains the source code for the technic launcher, and I was hoping that since it's just a minefield of folder structure, someone might be able to point me in the general direction. What I do need though, is for someone to tell me what the launcher is written in (or a way to find out), I assume it's an executable Java file?

Thanks, I assumed so. So, the .exe file for example is just the updater for the .jar that then downloads minecraft folders for tekkit and technic and all the other modpacks. Thought so.

Thanks for confirming. Any idea where in the java the download code is? (I'll try and find it myself, and if I do shall reply with info for future references)

Thanks, I assumed so. So, the .exe file for example is just the updater for the .jar that then downloads minecraft folders for tekkit and technic and all the other modpacks. Thought so.

Thanks for confirming. Any idea where in the java the download code is? (I'll try and find it myself, and if I do shall reply with info for future references)

Nope. Haven't mucked around on their github much, as this isn't my thing.

Hmm, While I found the locations and such (pretty straightforward actually) I have decided MultiMC is better suited to my needs. For any Technic Launcher developer who reads this, MultiMC is a nice little open source application that allows you to easily set up your own mod packs, which can then be distributed for others to download into their MultiMC client. Perhaps this could be an easy solution to the Technic Launcher's planed implementation for a modpack feature.

The downside to MultiMC in relation to Technic is that you still have to manually download and update the mods in the pack. MultiMC only allows you to easily export your config options and the mod list.

Yes, but it's still suited for my needs. Perhaps someday when I'm bored I'll bother with git and auto repositories.