"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

YES!:D it works ty so much. great guy right here!

She is a female

no it didn't

i have tried everything so far 1 thing worked but it was an old version of tekkit and only loaded 31 mods instead of 41

I can guarantee you did not "try everything".

Niall_' date=' post: 239798, member: 95727"']A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), place this minecraft.jar in your .techniclauncher/cache folder, rename the same minecraft.jar to minecraft_1.2.5.jar and then run the launcher again.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm.

thank you so much it has worked for me well i think so.

Well it seems this solution should fix your error Popcorn, could you try going to your cache folder again and renaming the minecraft jar to "minecraft_1.2.5" and see if that works?

Then I apologise for stating otherwise, Mojang was not in the mirrors.yml which is where I assumed the minecraft.jar was being retrieved from. I shall go amend the original post.

I did put it in my cache then re-named it to minecraft_1.2.5.jar (adding the .jar right???)

But I will try with the 1.3.2 and see what happens.

Make sure that you are renaming the file properly. By default, most Operating Systems hide file extensions, so renaming it minecraft_1.2.5.jar will end up making it minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar, even though you only see minecraft_1.2.5.jar

Try renaming it but without adding the .jar to the end, so if you are using the 1.2.5 .jar, rename it to minecraft_1.2.5

This worked for me Greenwolf thanks, now I just need minecraft 1.2.3 for the yogbox I guess and it should work.