2012 United-Statian Presidential Elections Official Thread.

Xylord

My main reason for being compelled to vote for Obama is that with the race seeming so close, I really don't want Romney to get in office. Slashing domestic programs without touching (or even raising) our defense budget alarms me a bit.

As for higher taxes on the rich. The Bush-era tax cuts have me scratching my head. Why did we go to war and then allow tax cuts? If you go to war, take responsibility. Taxes should be raised during war time to help fund the operation -- because if it's what the American people really want, then we have to suck it up and pay the bill.

It's really scary to think we're so much of warmongers we would consider cutting funding to NASA or PBS, but won't cut funding to our military when there is no real threat to our national security (not just terrorists -- talking invasion/full blown warzone).

-snip- (is this how one should use that?)

What does Romney have to bring to the table? That he's a rich bastard? Why would people vote for him?

Also, more personally, do you mind if I ask what you PhD is in and if you speak languages other than english?

A "confirmed" PhD in most european countries is worth gold, especially Sweden (because their education program is shit) and Norway (they are so rich they don't care much about education)

And also a final point: Global Warming doesn't exist. It's a huge scam and Al Gore is making millions off it.

I'd like to offer you some fair reading that has links to many scientific articles at your own leisure, in the hopes you don't blindly dismiss an aspect of science that is heavily studied. (Hint: climate sensitivity discussions is probably the reason for your dismissal)

What does Romney have to bring to the table? That he's a rich bastard? Why would people vote for him?

Also, more personally, do you mind if I ask what you PhD is in and if you speak languages other than english?

A "confirmed" PhD in most european countries is worth gold, especially Sweden (because their education program is shit) and Norway (they are so rich they don't care much about education)

Hey, let's keep things civil.

Romney's technology and science policies are actually better than Obama's, but I feel he would do far better in congress with that than as president, where his other policies wouldn't make it terribly worth it. And so that he can convince other Republicans to work on resolving issues like global warming, of which he is an advocate of helping aggressively mitigate.

I am striving towards a PhD in mathematics, specifically number theory. I would love to teach as a professor at a large university -- which is my dream at the moment. Sweden is appealing to me at the moment, but Norway isn't too far behind. As large and diverse as America is, we're not so awesome as to do things like run out of trash to turn into electricity and start importing it from other countries, or have a low crime rate. If things keep going as it is, there will be a brain drain from the US, and I've no reservations about jumping ship.

Took the quiz and got 83% Romney and 79% Ron Paul. I suppose that's not very surprising since I consider myself a libertarian leaning republican. Really wish Paul had got the gop nomination though as Mitt just doesn't seem trustworthy. I'd vote for Gary Johnson but I can't support someone who's pro choice in good conscience.

Hey, let's keep things civil.

Didn't mean that in any other way. Romney is a bit frustrating to watch though, since he want to cut all public spending. Since I'm from Finland I get very pissed at people who think public health-care is a bad thing, and when one of those is trying to be the leader of a superpower, I feel like -removed-

EDIT: civil, right.

We should also increase funding to our military...

Can you provide a single credible reason that we should increase military funding instead of increasing funding for public services like education?

Your entire argument reeks of someone who gets their politics from headlines or is just trolling. If you're serious, then I'm just going to stop reading this thread.