Server Time Out

Andy Miller

Hey all,

Here is my situation, I have had a server setup for about a month and all was fine and dandy and in the past week when I logon I get "Connection failed, timed out."  I can get into the game maybe 1 out of 3 times but then it only last about 2 minutes then "Connection failed, timed out".  The server side looks great, low CPU and Memory and only shows tons of "[12:43:28] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2063ms behind, skipping 41 tick(s)". FYI this isn't my modpack.

Modpack: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mechunk-mega-modpack.778112

Client Side Logs: http://pastebin.com/vtUbWZAK
Server Side Logs: http://www.filedropper.com/fml-server-latest (too big for pastebin)

What I have done on the server side:
- Rebuilt the virtual machine - 2 CPU cores & 10 GB RAM
- Updated Java to java version "1.8.0_72" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_72-b15) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.72-b15, mixed mode)
- Checked the NIC and it doesnt show any staturation - Checked speedtest - 6ms ping - 36Mbps Down - 9.75Mbps Up

What I have done on the client side:
- Rebooted
- Reinstalled the modpack
- Tried on my ususal computer outside my home network
- Tried on my computer on my home LAN
- Copied the config files from the server to the client
- Installed opis on the server and "ran" it on the client

Any and all help would be great!

• Discord Moderator

I'm not on a fast enough connection to evaluate a monolithic pack that large but should be able to check it out in detail in a few hours.

However, a server for pack of that size is going to run like utter garbage if the server JAR is using Forge instead of one of the KCauldron/Thermos variants. Are you just running Forge or are you using one of the other server JARs?

• Discord Moderator
  • You mention the server has 10G of RAM. How much are you allocating to the server process?
  • Is the server running off of an SSD or spindle drive?

Okay, did some testing. Set up a server on one of my local VMs. The server seems to load fine while using Forge and I am able to join with no trouble. As long as I am stationary, or move slowly, the server seems to be stable and stay at a constant 20 TPS. However, as soon as I start moving around the world generation is obliterating TPS. The worldgen in this pack is very complex. Using the current Thermos (KCauldron fork) it seems to run better, but it crashes occasionally. One or more of the mods may not work well when not using Forge.

The pack itself is kind of a mess. There are some current mods, some absolutely ancient mods, and even some mods for 1.7.2 when there are 1.7.10 versions available. None of the configs seem to be tweaked to make the mods work well together (specifically worldgen, go figure).