London superbuild

Sargent_Blockson

My mate says that he wants to build the whole of bloody London up to the M25, that's 125 miles in radius. Apparently he'll use something to render 3d maps of the city and convert them to the game engine and then build the small details by hand.

1. Is there something like that out there?

2. Do you think that he should use mods make it more realistic?

To be honest, I feel like importing a model of London into Minecraft would result in his computer/game exploding and/or stabbing him. That is, if its even possible in the first place.

Good luck though.

He seems confident, but apparently he would need 6,000 builders to make it the way that project 1845 was made

So it better work.

Model 125 miles in radius, 1:1 scale = more than 127 billion square meters. That's the number of blocks we're talking about on one layer.

No.

Actually the area that London occupy's is 1'570 km squared. So that's 1'570'000 square meters roughly, disconting the M25 that goes about 20 extra miles outside of the actual city.

Actually the area that London occupy's is 1'570 km squared. So that's 1'570'000 square meters roughly, disconting the M25 that goes about 20 extra miles outside of the actual city.

Okay, so I didn't cross check the 125 mile radius above. Ignoring the M25 issue and just going with metro London does give the number you mentioned. However, you forgot that you're converting area, not length/distance. 1,570 km^2 needs to be multiplied by a million to get square meters. That's...1.57 billion blocks. Per layer, again. Not achievable in this lifetime with anything shy of an army of builders and a very sophisticated/processor intensive server (farm, probably), along with the technical ability to do such a conversion.

So again, no.

Okay, so I didn't cross check the 125 mile radius above. Ignoring the M25 issue and just going with metro London does give the number you mentioned. However, you forgot that you're converting area, not length/distance. 1,570 km^2 needs to be multiplied by a million to get square meters. That's...1.57 billion blocks. Per layer, again. Not achievable in this lifetime with anything shy of an army of builders and a very sophisticated/processor intensive server (farm, probably), along with the technical ability to do such a conversion.

So again, no.

Apparently there's this thing that converts Google earth maps into minecraft maps, somehow. I think that he's lost his mind

Yeah but if the bulk of the blocks are placed by a generator then all they need to do is re-skin the buildings. The will probably reduce the number of blocks required by a factor of 10 or 100. :) A program to down/up sample a 3d map to 1m scale and ouput in anvil format wouldn't be that bad. I don't know what the kb/chuck is of the file format.

The problem is the minimum size of Minecraft blocks. If something, for instance a lamp head, strayed into the area where the next block was, there would be a huge block in the place of a tiny cutting of metal at the end of the lamp.

Yeah but if the bulk of the blocks are placed by a generator then all they need to do is re-skin the buildings. The will probably reduce the number of blocks required by a factor of 10 or 100. :) A program to down/up sample a 3d map to 1m scale and ouput in anvil format wouldn't be that bad. I don't know what the kb/chuck is of the file format.

Let us assume you are reducing the block placement requirements by a factor of 100, for simplicity. 15,700,000 blocks per layer, with an average layer volume of...say 20, assuming you're not doing the subway system, tunnels, sewers, etc. yields 314,000,000 blocks to be placed by hand. Assuming you have 50 people working non-stop 8 hours a day, and each can place 2 blocks per second on average: you'll be done in 3,140,000 seconds. That's...3-1/2 months of work. That's not counting organization, the fact that you'll be lucky to find 50 people to work 2 hours a day, let alone 8, and the tremendous server requirements to contain the volume of your world and the work being done on it.

Once again: no. You're talking about several years of dedicated building for a few well-coordinated people. I'd pick a smaller project.