TechnicPack as a modpack producer is very demotivating and sad

TheOriginalGeez

Hello, my name is TheOriginalGeez, I have been using modpacks quite regularly through the past couple years. I however, find that the Technic Launcher official pack creators are pretty lazy IMO. I like most of the packs you have made but it absolutely BAFFLES me to why you put them in a "Released" state. By your definition you do not update mods nor do you fix any bugs or exploits. Why is that? For the measly 4 packs you have NONE of them have received ANY sort of patch OR fix for any of the exploits in these packs for over one year! Not to mention you guys haven't posted a single new pack in a very long time. Am I missing something? Maybe it has just been such a long time that they have given up and found new hobbies.

EDIT: No offense to the creators sorry if I came out as rude I understand. I just wish you could update to fix exploits etc.

Edited by TheOriginalGeez
Added a sentence to make sure I don't come off the wrong way.

• Moderators

Hello, I am Munaus the forum and discord moderator and former tech-help guy on the non-existant Tracker for over 6 months.

I like having a discussion that concerns constructive criticism. The problem is, I hardly ever find such a person.

Let's be honest, because I can pull the chat logs on this, did you tell a moderator on our Discord to go fuck himself?

On 7/28/2017 at 1:18 AM, Munaus said:

Hello, I am Munaus the forum and discord moderator and former tech-help guy on the non-existant Tracker for over 6 months.

I like having a discussion that concerns constructive criticism. The problem is, I hardly ever find such a person.

Let's be honest, because I can pull the chat logs on this, did you tell a moderator on our Discord to go fuck himself?

Yes, I told Pyros to go fuck himself. Sorry for the reckless behavior, I don't know why I was being so hostile and angry that day. I can understand if I will be banned from the pack as a whole, I guess I deserve it. Sorry.

• Moderators

Tekkit Classic, Lite, Main (space), Legends, Hexxit, Attack of the B-team and Blightfall. I count more than 4 Technic packs

and that's only by the Technic team, there's also Voltz, TPPI, Big Dig and Hack/Mine that are made by a third party that Technic hosts.

Technic hosts all these packs, they pay money so people can download them. They also pay to upkeep the Platform and the forum.

In both the forum and mainly now on the Discord we help users to fix many of their issues relating to launcher not working or modpack problems.

we also got others jumping the helpwagon, players who enjoy giving time of their day to help others. Yours truly used to be one of them

Sum that up together and you'll find that the words "sad" or "demotivating" is not the impression you get from Technic. It's quite the opposite.

But you mentioned modpack bugs and why they wont patch them. There's fairly many reasons for this:

Mods are either not updated/discontinued like some Hexxit mods

or they are not updated for that specific MC version, as the mod dev decided to update to a newer MC version. This breaks many packs as you have to decide whether to ditch some mods that lag behind on updates in favour of a few others that has.

There's also the rare occurrence when some mods working together causes such a bug that neither of the mod devs wishes to take responsibility for it.

In this example I think of Attack of the B-team and the village crash. A combination of Biomes O'Plenty, Necromancy and vanilla villages caused a crash. Technic could not fix it as the issue lied in the code. But whose code was not up to debate, as the mod devs didn't see it as their problem and Mojang simply doesn't care due to it being a modded client. So Technic disabled vanilla villages as the only solution.

You also have to take into consideration that Technic team is not a huge triple A company with hundreds of employers. It's Kakermix, Sct, Genpage, Talonos and Skuli. 5 dudes who has lives outside of Technic where they have to work and pay their bills. There used to be more admins than that, but many have quit to pursue their own careers or studies.

Anyone making a pack, be it willy-nilly or carefully picking certain mods that play nicely together will still have some bugs inbetween them at release. It's impossible for one or two players to spot all of them, but it's guaranteed that hundreds, or in this case thousands playing Technic, will find them. It's easy to get stressed out and point fingers at Technic, while forgetting that other packs made by the community probably have the same bugs, or worse. In addition, many of the packs made by the community does not offer as much help and support as we do here.

So that just leaves the laziness. They may certainly be that, but seeing as they are still here and Notch, who refused to fix anything and bailed out by selling his game and ran away with the M$ money, Technic is still going strong. That means something.

So to sum it all up; Recommended is a playable version. It may not be the most bug-free but it can still be enjoyed by the majority. If you want to prove your point of them being lazy then you are very welcomed to try and fix the bugs and exploits and present your version of their pack to the Technic team.

After all, CanVox, the former modpack creator in Technic, used to be a simple player before he got the position as an admin.