Ordering parts for a new server - opinions?

ks7

So after receiving a bunch of Newegg gift cards for Christmas, I've decided to use part of them to build a new rig for my Tekkit server. Right now I'm looking at one of the new AMD A6 CPUs (A6-5400k, LINK) and a compatible Micro ATX motherboard/ case/ PSU, but I still haven't decided on what I'm doing as far as RAM and storage go.

My problem with the RAM and storage is that I can't decide between running a HDD, SSD, or RAMdisk. I figure that if I go with an SSD or HDD, I can get away with using 8GB of RAM, but I'll probably end up going with 16GB if I decide to use a RAMdisk (I have an unused HDD lying around that I plan on using regardless for server backups/ etc).

Does anyone have any experience with real world performance differences between the various storage solutions?

I have to ask first,

What exactly are you planning to use the server for?

What type of network connection do you have?

Are you planning to only use it for personal use, or are you planning to start your own server farm and sell space/services on them?

The "impact" each different storage solution will have on your applications will differ depending on what application you plan to use it for. How heavily taxed it is.

I'd also ask if your planning to put Windows or *UNIX on it. (Windows will see a much bigger performance benefit from an SSD because its so much less "efficient" than most UNIX distro's. (That doesn't mean you should use windows...)

If it really is a server machine, why does your CPU need a built in Graphics Unit? Most of the time, your server shouldn't even need to have a monitor attached. (In fact most of my servers in the past have never had a monitor attached.)

I'm just saying... that that particular hardware setup *MIGHT* not be the best you can get for your need.

I have a 150Mb/s down, 65Mb/s up fibre connection, and I don't plan on starting a server farm. I plan on using it to host my current Tekkit server, in addition to using it as a media server for my home network. I was looking at that processor mainly because of the price and the clock rate, and I figured that if I decide to do anything with it down the road (I.e using it as a HTPC), the integrated GPU will come in handy. I'm probably going to stick with Windows until I'm a little more familiar with Linux, although I may decide to switch over in the future.

Also, scratch the RAMdisk question, I'm definitely gonna go with an SSD instead.

Okay, sound pretty sound reasoning...

Are you sure that you need an SSD then?

Minecraft isn't exactly large... And if your only running the 1 server, you won't notice any real difference between the SSD and the HDD. Most of your stuff will be loaded into RAM anyway.

Unless you plan to make it a silent HTPC I don't see a need for a relatively expensive SSD.

I was planning on getting a small one for it (<100GB), and Newegg has a bunch on sale right now, so it won't be a very large investment. After experiencing the difference between an SSD and a HDD on my main rig, I feel comfortable getting a cheap one even just for the quick boot/ load times.