Massive Lag Spikes

Mingwei

I've been playing tekkit on singleplayer for some time. Recently, I have been experiencing massive lag spikes after a few minutes of gameplay.

Here's what happens when I load my world:

1. FPS at 30-40 range for a few minutes

2. FPS suddenly drops to 10 or less

3. FPS goes up again after a few seconds to close to 40

4. and it repeats itself to eternity

Here's a screenshot of the lagometer:

1NAW0.png

Here are the specs of the laptop I play on:

Model: Acer Aspire 3830TG

CPU: Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40GHz

RAM: 8GB (I allocated 4GB to tekkit via the technic launcher)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 540M (driver version 310.70)

Java: Version 7 Update 9 64bit

This problem makes the game quite unplayable, so I would be really grateful if anyone can help.

Also, check out your background processes. Because of the way that RAM works, sometimes background programmes can interfere with Tekkit, even if you have allocated enough RAM. Try closing some, or delaying their start-up to increase memory.

It sounds contradictory, but try allocating less memory to Tekkit. 2 GB should be fine. I don't know why, but this sometimes works in clearing this up. Also, it might be your world that is doing this. That Blaze-Rod machine for instance, is resource-intensive. If you can before the lag hits, turn all your machines off. Also, one of your machines might have overloaded and be dropping items all over the place. Use MCedit to delete entities, this might restore normal working order to your world.

Thanks for your input. I allocated 2GB to tekkit, shut off absolutely everything except my solar panel array (I need some power), checked all my machines for overloading (none) and used the removedrops command on spc anyway just in case. There is a general increase of about 2-5 fps, but the massive lag spikes remain as frequent as before - that is, every few seconds.

I have a similar problem with my main Tekkit world. Every time the lag hits FPS goes down to 1 or 2. I just have to wait it out for a few seconds and then the lag goes away.

I too have a blaze rod machine (not sure if relevant).

I use the 64x Sphax addon patch. I used to use 128x but got the "Minecraft has run out of memory" message. I allocate 2GB of RAM (have a total of 4GB). I've tried setting it to 3GB which solved the memory issue but I then had massive lag with the 128x textures, plus I wasn't sure it was wise to allocate 75% of all available RAM to Tekkit.

I once thought that it could've been the auto save which I set to every 20s. Did not notice an immediate difference when changing to 3min but I haven't explored changing this enough to rule this out as the cause.

Interestingly though, I've recently created a new Tekkit Lite world just so I could explore all the new stuff and try out a texture pack (128x) and I started getting lag spikes. Cant tell you how often or if the lag was repetitive but i defiantly had more than one spike interrupt me. I hadn't build anything in this world either, all I did was scroll through NEI and place blocks to look at GUIs etc. Also did a bit of flying around and it lagged then, but it was thinking it was just the world generation as I was flying over unloaded parts at some points.

I set all my graphics to fast.

Render distance is at normal (+0)

I use better grass and better snow

I use connected textures

I turn clouds, fog and weather off

I turn off void/water particles

I've got something selected as max FPS and also something else as smooth FPS

I've set mipmap to 2 and smoothing to linear

I've never considered turning off animations but I'll try. Is there anything I've missed?

Set connected textures to Fast, that also helps, and set terrain textures off. That should restore normality.

Ok so this is what I've now changed:

Grass set to fast (not sure why it was on fancy I usually have it on fast anyway)

Terrain Animated turned off

Textures Animated turned off

Items Animated turned off

This seems to have worked as Tekkit hasn't thrown a tantrum yet whereas before I would've had several lag fits by now.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem with my main Tekkit world. Every time the lag hits FPS goes down to 1 or 2. I just have to wait it out for a few seconds and then the lag goes away.

I too have a blaze rod machine (not sure if relevant).

I use the 64x Sphax addon patch. I used to use 128x but got the "Minecraft has run out of memory" message. I allocate 2GB of RAM (have a total of 4GB). I've tried setting it to 3GB which solved the memory issue but I then had massive lag with the 128x textures, plus I wasn't sure it was wise to allocate 75% of all available RAM to Tekkit.

I once thought that it could've been the auto save which I set to every 20s. Did not notice an immediate difference when changing to 3min but I haven't explored changing this enough to rule this out as the cause.

Interestingly though, I've recently created a new Tekkit Lite world just so I could explore all the new stuff and try out a texture pack (128x) and I started getting lag spikes. Cant tell you how often or if the lag was repetitive but i defiantly had more than one spike interrupt me. I hadn't build anything in this world either, all I did was scroll through NEI and place blocks to look at GUIs etc. Also did a bit of flying around and it lagged then, but it was thinking it was just the world generation as I was flying over unloaded parts at some points.

How did you modify the auto save on the server? I've been trying to figure this out as I'm getting spamed with "[sIDEOUT] saving" what seems like every 5 seconds. I've lowered my graphics but this seems to be the main cause as it lags every time it auto saves.

The auto-save feature is a config thing, I know little about server configs. Is your server a 'paid' for one, hosted by a tekkit server site?

No, I own the server myself through my public IP address, so I have control of every file. So my question now is, which config file were you looking at and how did you find it?