Friend cannot connect to server - connection refused

QueenTashie

Question

Launcher/pack Version: Tekkit v.2.1.1 (Everything up to date)

Operating System: 32-bit Windows XP

Version of Java: v7 32 bit

Description of Problem: When my friend (his system information is posted above) tries to connect to my tekkit server, he gets this message:

failed to connect to the server

connection refused: connection

I have made sure that the port for the server is open on my router from my laptop and not used by any other applications, I have fully updated my server to the lastest version. (I myself am able to connect to my server.) I searched on these forums for information to this problem, but found nothing of use. If the solution to this problem has already been posted, a reference/link to it is appreciated. If needed, this is my information:

Launcher/pack Version: Tekkit v.2.1.1 (Everything up to date)

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7

Version of Java: v7 64 bit

Error Messages: N/A

Link to pastebin of log: N/A

11 answers to this question

when you connect to your server, are you using 127.0.0.1 or localhost as your IP? if so, try switching it to your external IP and try that.

if you have no idea what we're talking about when we say "external IP", buy a copy of networking for dummies or something. that would also explain your friend's problems as well.

Double check your external IP and make certain they have it correct. Also, is the server ip: line in your config blank?

Are you getting any errors in the server log when they try to connect?

I have double and triple checked my external IP, and I know it is correct. The server IP line in my config has the same IP that I use, because that is how I set it up for my Minecraft Server. Should I change the config IP to the external one?

There is no error message when my friend tries to connect. I checked that everytime he tried to log in.

when you connect to your server, are you using 127.0.0.1 or localhost as your IP? if so, try switching it to your external IP and try that.

if you have no idea what we're talking about when we say "external IP", buy a copy of networking for dummies or something. that would also explain your friend's problems as well.

I use my router IP, but neither of the ones you suggested. I am aware of what an external IP is, and have used it before in another server for Vanilla Minecraft once.

Make the IP line in the server config blank and have them try again

I tried that, and it didn't seem to work. I also tried the external IP in the server properties, but that didn't work either, even with a new port opened up. The server address for others not on my network would be the external IP, colon, port number, correct? I'm just following the same formula for my Minecraft Vanilla Server.

head over to http://www.whatismyip.com and look at your IP displayed there. this is your external IP. if that's not what you gave your friend, and not what is in your server address box (plus port number of course) then make it so. once you've done this, see if you can still connect.

if you truly are using your external IP, and you connect fine while your friend doesn't, then it's probably something on your friend's PC blocking it. maybe a firewall program (like the ever popular AVG) or similar.

head over to http://www.whatismyip.com and look at your IP displayed there. this is your external IP. if that's not what you gave your friend, and not what is in your server address box (plus port number of course) then make it so. once you've done this, see if you can still connect.

if you truly are using your external IP, and you connect fine while your friend doesn't, then it's probably something on your friend's PC blocking it. maybe a firewall program (like the ever popular AVG) or similar.

I know what my external IP address is, and this is what I have given to my friend, along with the port number that I am using. I tried putting the external IP address in my server IP line, but then the server does not even work for me. He does not use AVG.

I'm not sure if there is any more information that you need in regards to solving this problem, but if so, please let me know.

if the server doesn't work when you put in your external IP for it, then you have an issue on your end.

possible problems:

1) port forwarding is not setup properly/not working

2) your ISP is draconian and blocks uncommon ports like the ones minecraft servers use

3) your server is misconfigured

ways to narrow down your issue:

step 1: try connecting your PC directly to your modem, instead of going through your router. once you do this, check your IP again because it may have changed and try connecting to your server using your current IP. if this works, it's a port forwarding issue with the router. if this fails, you're either using the wrong IP (unlikely since you seem to know how to find it), your ISP is draconian and you're fucked, or your server is misconfigured.

step 2: if step 1 failed, completely delete your minecraft server files (backup your world file if you want to keep it) and reinstall the server. don't modify the config at all. get the server up and running, then try to connect like you did in step 1. if this works now, your config was bad and you can restore your backed up world file (if you did this) and play happily with your buddy after putting your network back together. if this does not work, you're down to your ISP being draconian and you are fucked.

I believe that if the server-ip line in the config file is left blank, the port is left at the default, you forward that port to the computer that is hosting the server, and you connect from within the network in the internal IP, connect from other computers using the external IP, it should work. The fact that your server is not showing anything whatsoever when your friend tries to connect means it is not even attempting to connect. This says to me that either they are inputting the IP wrong, or they were given the wrong IP, or that the port was not forwarded correctly, or their antivirus is blocking the connection.

If you already checked everything, lets try starting over. is there a reason you changed the port? Try starting from scratch, download the server again and run it on default settings, forward the default port and have them just enter the external IP with no port attached. If it works you can move your world over, or figure out what was different that made it work.

I believe that if the server-ip line in the config file is left blank, the port is left at the default, you forward that port to the computer that is hosting the server, and you connect from within the network in the internal IP, connect from other computers using the external IP, it should work. The fact that your server is not showing anything whatsoever when your friend tries to connect means it is not even attempting to connect. This says to me that either they are inputting the IP wrong, or they were given the wrong IP, or that the port was not forwarded correctly, or their antivirus is blocking the connection.

If you already checked everything, lets try starting over. is there a reason you changed the port? Try starting from scratch, download the server again and run it on default settings, forward the default port and have them just enter the external IP with no port attached. If it works you can move your world over, or figure out what was different that made it work.

Wow, it worked! Thanks to both you and freakachu for all your help! I really appreciate it, as does my friend.