Server issues - Time Change/Overloaded?

tissimo

I run a tekkit server for a couple buddies off my home server box. Everything was running great for a week or so, but then we stopped playing for a week but the server stays up 24/7. Anyways after the, I try to log into it today and it freezes on the login. I closed the Tekkit client and restarted and the server was unavailable now. I look at the log and it says

2012-03-22 10:16:35 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

Time did change this past weekend? I restarted the server, but still nothing. After a few minutes it gives me the same message. Java is maxing out 1 core of the server cpu.

I tried loading another tekkit folder with the same server properties and everything and it all worked fine, and was able to log in without issue (it generated a new map). Java was using the normal 10% cpu. Any thoughts or imput?

Is it possible that you guys had some fancy machinery running that overflowed while you were away? That might be a cause if the console just keeps spamming that message. I can't remember the step-by-step to fix that particular issue from when it happened on my server, but maybe that could lead you in the right direction? For mine, it was throwing that message about 4 times a minute. I cleaned up over 30,000 dropped items that were sitting at an experimental machine.

Is it possible that you guys had some fancy machinery running that overflowed while you were away? That might be a cause if the console just keeps spamming that message. I can't remember the step-by-step to fix that particular issue from when it happened on my server, but maybe that could lead you in the right direction? For mine, it was throwing that message about 4 times a minute. I cleaned up over 30,000 dropped items that were sitting at an experimental machine.

Its a possibility. I think I might of left my quarry going but it was feeding everything except valuables into a EE Box.

I tried moving the map, and it is map related. The new server folder doesn't run either giving the same message.

Also to be clear, I can not log into the server. It fails to poll/cant reach in the client after starting the server. I guess its time to start over, lol.

Let me see how much I can remember for you.

In the overworld folder for your world, you have the files for the world of course. I think it was just in that folder, there were a few folders for this and that, and there are 4 files that aren't in any subdirectories. Of those four files, there were two that each were really small (~1KB) that I think were alphabetically at the end of the list. I cut out those two files, started the server, and was able to log in myself. I knew where the item drop problem probably was, and luckily I was a fair enough distance away that the problem that the chunk didn't load straight away. I just made a few steps towards the area and kept spamming the item clearing command (I think it was from worldedit) and eventually hit the item pocket to clear. Shut the server back down, put those two cut files back in, and it was good to go.

I guess this might not work if your quarry is close to either where you last logged out or close to the original spawn. It also might not work if I was being too vague or unhelpful, but hopefully that isn't the case :)

Guest fondelaar

since it is map related, and the warning means that ur server is too slow/laggy/overloaded, i suppose there are some quarrys

wich are instantly looking for blocks placed at their mining zone. try to remove some depleted quarrys!!

What has been said here already is all pretty much correct. That Warning you are getting is because the server is unable to complete a server tick within the required time, it checks this by looking at how much time has passed since it started processing the tick(hence the "Did the system time change"). What this means in reality is that something is causing loads of CPU work(hence "Java is maxing out 1 core of the server cpu.")

There are lots of possible causes but I suspect you logged off while a quarry was running and lots of blocks in pipes reached an unloaded chunk boundary and popped out, Lots of block drops can cause huge lag and on a small server it could easily cause enough to cause a time-out when you log in.

As for solutions you need to use this

/remove items 10000

in the console IN GAME

most likely the lag is only being caused when you load specific chunks, get someone else who isn't near where you last were to log on, op them, and get them to use that command repeatedly as they move towards your quarry.

Hope this helps.