Modifyworld alternative/modifyworld eating up CPU cycles?

Hi all

I'm running a server.

I started loading up on admin mods and went from an average of 15% to an average of 40% CPU usage with no players logged on. So I went through all of my plugins and the culprit turned out to be modifyworld. Once it was removed, CPU usage went back down to stock levels.

Needless to say, an uninvited Tekkit guest can really mess up a server. I want to restrict guests from doing anything until approved by a moderator. What else is out there?

This isn't a formal bug report, but if it matters,

JRE: 7u3

No AV, no firewall, viewed via RDP, no background tasks.

Other mods: Anticreeper, PermissionsEx, SimpleReserve, ChatManager, MineBackup, and occasionally dynmap (currently disabled).

• Forum Administrators

I used AntiGuest for awhile on a vanilla server and it worked out pretty well. Haven't tested it with Tekkit yet but I can't imagine it would matter.

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/antiguest/

Although I find it somewhat hard to believe ModifyWorld is really using up that much CPU. If it is, then it seems I may have to do some investigation myself!

I had a bit of intuition that modifyworld might be doing item restriction checks on all the automated stuff going on in alchemical chests/etc. Considering the Gem of Eternal Density changes things - often - this would explain the high load.

So I turned off item restrictions, load decreased on one core and went up on the other, overall was a bit worse, turned it back on, was back to square one, repeated twice and got the same results. It's a bit odd, odd enough that I'm trying out bPermissions with antiguest! :)

Thanks!

Edit: Antiguest requires CB 1.1-R5 or newer (according to the 'installation' part, the 'download' part says otherwise), I'm not sure how to access older versions. Tekkit is using 1.1-R4.

• Forum Administrators

I had a bit of intuition that modifyworld might be doing item restriction checks on all the automated stuff going on in alchemical chests/etc. Considering the Gem of Eternal Density changes things - often - this would explain the high load.

So I turned off item restrictions, load decreased on one core and went up on the other, overall was a bit worse, turned it back on, was back to square one, repeated twice and got the same results. It's a bit odd, odd enough that I'm trying out bPermissions with antiguest! :)

Thanks!

Edit: Antiguest requires CB 1.1-R5 or newer (according to the 'installation' part, the 'download' part says otherwise), I'm not sure how to access older versions. Tekkit is using 1.1-R4.

I keep copies of my plugins when I do major updates on my vanilla server (backup reasons and such). I'll check if I still have an R4 copy of AntiGuest laying around.

I found Antiguest 2.5 on the Curse site, tested it, and am having the same problem. There's got to be an event firing off every time a machine modifies an inventory that Modifyworld and Antiguest are listening to.

I'm wondering if there's a Spout mod that could be used to control how people were able to interact on a server instead? Until then I think I'm going to do an adminium box with an open top so mobs can get in, lol.

As weird as this is going to sound, I shut it off to do an update, booted it back up, decided to try to update worldedit to use worldguard, loaded it all up, and my load averages were down near 2-8% with nothing going. I figured "Heck, why don't I toss modifyworld on and see how it works", I go ahead and do so, I go from 2-8% idle load before any players join to ~20% with one player on. Now average load is between 10-20% with no one on.

All I can say about this is that if anyone has a problem with unusually high CPU usage with modifyworld, update worldedit. I still had an increase in my load with modifyworld, but overall there's a lot less going on.

• 4 months later...