End of Stream appears in console and server appears as offline.

Tom Prest

Question

Title: End of Stream appears in console and server appears as offline.

Version: 3.1.2

OS: Linux, afraid I can't specify as it is an external host.

Java Version: 7

Description of Problem:

I discovered the other week that after a few hours, my tekkit server would suddenly appear as offline, showing the end of stream error in the console. The crashes would get more and more frequent until I decided to do a region fixer. This removed a lot of corrupted chunks, and the server ran fine for a day or so. The crashes then started again and have become more and more frequent. I'm thinking that it is not corrupted chunks causing the end of stream errors, but rather something else that happens to cause the corrupted chunks when the server crashes, as a nasty byproduct.

Having said that, the server does not fully "crash". It still runs, just showing as offline. I am able to execute console commands and stop it properly, but nobody can connect with this error until I restart and have to wait for it to happen again.

I have removed various mods that people claim to cause this issue but to no avail. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

Error Messages:

Error Log:

22.02 12:01:26 [server] INFO list

22.02 12:01:25 [server] INFO list

22.02 12:01:25 [server] INFO Reached end of stream

22.02 12:01:25 [server] INFO list

22.02 12:01:24 [server] INFO list

22.02 12:01:24 [server] INFO Reached end of stream

22.02 12:01:23 [server] INFO Reached end of stream

22.02 12:01:23 [server] INFO Reached end of stream

22.02 12:01:23 [server] INFO list

6 answers to this question

Did you get to the bottom of this?

My hosting company was down for a couple of days for upgrades (which went badly wrong) and I've been getting similar behaviour ever since, at first I thought it was a hardware issue at their end but now I'm wondering if something has gone wrong at a software level because of all the unexpected restarts etc.

As it happens yes I am, what features did you disable?

I've also been looking at this plugin as a possible culprit and so far set the following to false:

ThrottleInventoryThread

UseChunkUnloader

Which like you I THINK has helped but it's hard to tell for sure!

Interesting turn of events, I hosted the server at home for a few days using a backup copy and the errors & disconnects didn't occur. So I took a free trial with another hosting company... the errors & disconnects didn't occur then either.

So I don't know if this is the case for you as well but it doesn't seem to be a configuration, plugin or world problem in my case, it's something to do with the hosting company. I did suspect this earlier as it only started happening when they did some network upgrades but now I know for sure.

Maybe you should take a free trial elsewhere and see what happens?

Tekkit Restrict has that problem on a lot of servers. How it basically cripples the server. I decided not to use and got a coder to basically fix all the dupe bugs, (Trans Tablet, Block Breaker, RM Furnace, Tank Cart, Teleportation dupe and so on) and got all the items that are destructive, RM/DM tools, lens, destruction cata, mining laser and so on. So basiclaly my spawn hasnt been blown up since and any world guarded, faction claimed area and towny area won't be affected. Also got a fix for the buildcraft pipes so they dont drop items anymore and also how servers normally lag out when u have 10k entities (items) on the ground. I also got that fixed too.