How to make your own server w/ modpack from scratch!

PeggleFrank

This is a quick guide I set up for people who want to set up a server for their modpack. (Or maybe there's a button to do that, in which case this thread is a bit more useless than I originally hoped, but oh well)

You will need:

Optional: Minecraft Version Changer (MVC)

A stockpile of mods from 1.2.5 (You can easily just copy and paste these from your tekkit classic mods folder), along with any other mods you wish to use.

Minecraft Forge (You need the universal edition. You must have forge for the version of the server that you're going to use)

NOTE! Most mod developers don't allow people to download 1.2.5 versions of their mods. You will probably need to copy the mods from tekkit classic.

MVC Instructions:

To start off with your server-making career, you need to run MVC. Go down the list and select whatever version of minecraft you want your server to be. Click download server. Your server will download, and I recommend that you run it when the download is finished.

Non-MVC Instructions:

Use the instructions for setting up a server on mac on minecraft.net. You'll need the .bat file with the code inside of it to launch the server, too.

Go into insertservernamehere.jar, and dump a version of forge that's compatible with the version of the server in there. Run the server. It should generate a few more folders, the most important ones being coremods and mods. Here comes the flexible bit.

Go to where you stored all your crap tons of mods. If you want those mods in your server, dump them in the mods folder (NOT COREMODS!). Now, if you want to add in not enough items (NEI) you'll have to do something a bit diffrent. Go into the coremods folder of your tekkit classic folder, and copy code chicken core (CCC) and NEI into the place that you're storing all of your mods. Go into your server that you're creating. Dump CCC into the coremods folder first. Once you've done that, put NEI in there aswell. Once you've done that, the server will support players enchanting items via NEI and it will enable some other features of NEI aswell.

Once you've done that, you can copy the mods and coremods folder to somewhere temporary. Do the exact same steps (but without downloading a server!) to make sure your client has the exact same mods as your server.

Once you've done all that, you'll need to go into your servers bin.rar.ini folder and you'll need to write about 400 lines of code to ensure that the server knows where it's directorial management station is and how to deal with incoming transmission packets. You'll also need to deal with chocolate fudge muffin server attacks, the most dangerous and delicious kind of attack there is. Failing to deal with these kinds of constant dibritial management attacks can lead to hard drive corruption, boot disk flammation and semi-quantanic R.F.C. thermonuclear explosions.

Once you have all that set up, you're ready to play on your server that you built from the ground up! Enjoy!

FAQ:

Q: OMG HALP HALP IT EXPLODED

A: The easiest way to deal with issues is to do it again. It may sound lazy, but more often than not you did something wrong in such a way that it is irreversible, and you have to start again. If the problem persists, you're either reading the directions incorrectly, or there's something that's incompatible with what your doing (Nothing should be incompatible with any of the steps I've shown you here, so you shouldn't assume that it's an incompatibility right off the bat).

Q: I want to install _________ and it's not a mod. How would I go about doing so?

A: Follow the instructions given to you. If it requires you to download a server that's in the form of an EXE, and you don't want to play vanilla, then you will have to improvise. Check over it's steps. Try and see if there's a way that you could possibly skip a few steps that have to deal with setting up the server. If you can, then skip those steps and move onto the steps that tell you how to mod the server. If you can't, then it is impossible without deep knowledge of the thing you are installing.

I will gladly answer any questions (or maybe somebody else will) that you may have.

Constructive criticism is also appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alrighty,

So I have my whole folder with coremods, mods, and a modpack.jar folder filled with the forge files- Where do i get like the default DEFAULT tekkit server files? Halp! D:

-Mac

Easier contact on skype: the-mac.mc

I got absorbed in other stuff for awhile. Sorry :(

Um, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but I may be able to help. (I also feel bad for just now noticing your message)

For the normal tekkit files, clear your cache and redownload the tekkit modpack. For the server you can simply download a tekkit server from the tekkit website, which I can help you set up if need be.

Also, may I ask where precisely (the path I.E. C:/users/somebody/appdata/.technic/Tekkit/) you have a... modpack.jar? I'm not sure what that is. You should have mods, coremods, some other folders, and a folder called bin. Forge should be in the bin (you won't see it in there, but it's there) and all your mods should be in mods or coremods.

Why don't mod developers allow download of 1.2.5 versions?

Because it requires space and bandwidth to continue to serve those earlier versions

For small mods it's fine but for bigger and/or more popular mods it all adds up

Removing older versions from the available downloads is also a more effective way of indicating that those versions are no longer support than a warning in the OP

i don't see an isertservername.jar anywhere?

*Claps Slowly*

Pack called BusinessCraft means Jar is called BusinessCraft.jar

Pack called PeggleCraft means Jar is called PeggleCraft.jar

Pack called ThisIsReallyObvious means Jar is called ThisIsReallyObvious.jar

• 2 months later...