Getting started in the new Tekkit

Long time listener first time caller...

Anyways I am an player of old Tekkit circa November 2012, and this new pack is just baffling to me. Took me hours just to figure out how to make energy. And now I am just stumped!!!

1. Back in the IC2/EE days you could use up all that useless cobblestone and dirt you got from your quarry pretty quickly, now my quarry is running and I can't figure out what to do with the junk.

2. I'm sensing my general production scheme has changed, I mean back in IC2 days the majority of your materials went into producing stupid amounts of power, so what am I progressing towards here? I know its only day 2 of the new mod pack and the wiki is far behind, but I could use some advice on what my progression path should be. Something tells me digging giant holes in the earth just for materials isn't the most necessary thing in the new pack. Please help!

I'll update as I come up with more questions, thanks for the help in advance!

1. Back in the IC2/EE days you could use up all that useless cobblestone and dirt you got from your quarry pretty quickly, now my quarry is running and I can't figure out what to do with the junk.

But all the junk you want in a DSU(Deep Storage Unit). It holds up to 2 billion items, so no problem with space there.

2. I'm sensing my general production scheme has changed, I mean back in IC2 days the majority of your materials went into producing stupid amounts of power, so what am I progressing towards here? I know its only day 2 of the new mod pack and the wiki is far behind, but I could use some advice on what my progression path should be. Something tells me digging giant holes in the earth just for materials isn't the most necessary thing in the new pack. Please help!

The main only source of energy in Tekkit now is MJ. You should get started in Thermal Expansion. Basically, make some steam engines(note: not sterling engines, TE's steam engines), and get a pulverizer and a powered furnace. To supply the steam engines with water, get an aqueous accumulator. Place down the AA, and put two buckets of water on the left and right sides of it. This will give you infinite water for your engines. The best part is that you don't even need a wooden waterproof pipe to pump it out, it auto-exports. Beyond that, I'd say to start building up your array of machines, make a powersuit, and get an Applied Energistics network going.

Ok Moose that was a huge help, but now I'm stuck again. Right now I'm just playing in sandbox, trying to figure out how the machines work.

For the Magma Crucible... I can't seem to get it to produce any lava. I have it receiving power and items no problem, but its not working. Yes, it is hooked up to a lever. I have it pumping into two of those lava engine things, but the tank isn't filling and nothing is moving anywhere...

For the Magma Crucible... I can't seem to get it to produce any lava. I have it receiving power and items no problem, but its not working. Yes, it is hooked up to a lever. I have it pumping into two of those lava engine things, but the tank isn't filling and nothing is moving anywhere...

If you haven't messed with the redstone options in the tab on the side of the crucible's GUI, remove the levers.

It takes a lot of energy to turn cobblestone into lava (20000 MJ), and the operation won't start until that much energy is in the internal buffer. Does it have 20000+ MJ?

Or not, it could be that.

The magma crucible can run at a max of 20mj/t so five magmatic engines(4mj/t) or ten steam engines (2mj/t).

Early game, there isnt a MOST efficient way to power one. The most efficient way for you, will be whatever is the easiest or most abundant fuel source. Give it all the power you can, twiddle thumbs and wait.

If you want to use the magma crucible for making lava, then use netherack instead of cobble. Unless there has been a nerf Im unaware of, then the lava produced from netherack will far outweigh the initial costs of producing it. So as long as you keep making netherack runs to the nether, you will always have a formidable powersupply. And magmatic power will see you through all the way to endgame.

The magma crucible can run at a max of 20mj/t so five magmatic engines(4mj/t) or ten steam engines (2mj/t).

The Magma Crucible can run at a max of 40MJ/t, so double the amount of engines for fast & effective production. ^_^

The Magma Crucible can run at a max of 40MJ/t, so double the amount of engines for fast & effective production. ^_^

Is it adjustable in the config? The thermal expansion wiki says 20mj/t and ftb wiki says 30/mj/t. Ive never tested it myself, I just hook it up to power and let it run.

Ok I think I got it figured out... However one last question, what is the most efficient way to power a Magma Crucible?

It's kinda like cheating but you could do the following:

Gather enough Mystcraft Pages until you got atleast (Lava) (Ocean Biome) (Single Biome), add other pages as you see fit to create a stable world.

Extend the spawning platform to build a pumping station using liquid - and energy tesseracts from TE to send lava home to your base and energy back - there you go, having a semi infinite lava source. It can happen that you get stuck in the spawining platform when using books to travel, you can do a workaround using a rift signature to build a DD connection between your lava world and your base.

... same would work with the nether, but the age will have more lava and noone shooting at you.

And if you need an easy way to farm Ender Pearls for early/mid game:

Make a few runs in those Rift Dungeons (those doors from DD that naturally spawn) until you got at least 4 Rift Signatures.

Set up a Grinder from MFR into a 5x5 are and build wall up there about 10 high, build a platform there and extend a 2-3 blocks out and build another 10 block high wall and a celing (for better spawns). After that go one floor down, use the Rift signatures if possible as close together as you can to create an artifical ender spawner. Don't use more than 8 rift signatures or too much of the tower will be consumed from those rifts... or use piston traps to extend the 5x5 area enough to prevent that.