Energy systems so far?

dbett5

I've got 2 pumps from the nether pumping lava through 2 tesseracts into 4 magmatic engines which are then going to redstone energy cells ( and then circulating back to the pumps via energy esseract) working pretty well so far

Sounds like a good design!

Only thing to keep in mind (in my opinion) is the tesseract's 25% powerloss I've read about..

One might need to make several engines to counteract the loss if using tesseracts as a means to wireless power. (not really a problem, just worth keeping in mind/mentioning)

Another possible problem would be lava, nether's lava-lakes can be drained.. (after a long-long time, or poor choice of pump location)

So mystcraft can be useful by creataing a lava ocean biome, seemingly endless lava production!

Remember to put down Dimensional Anchors though, to keep your powersystem operational..

Edit: I'm gonna get to work on switching from my crucible setup into a pump-based one shortly. ^_^

• Discord Moderator

Great ideas to be sure.

My two cents:

1) Only a single pump should ever really be required. A single pump being sufficiently powered by, and pushing lava into, tesseracts can fill 1000+ buckets of lava storage in a couple minutes. I can't imagine going through lava quicker than that.

2) Since all thing Thermal Expansion are so much more friendly to SMP performance I would hope that most server owners would lower the tesseract energy loss down to the loss of phased pipes (5%) to discourage the use of phased pipes (and all things BC in regards to liquid/energy/item transport).

There's no loss in liquid AFAIK - that's the power. The amount of pumps you use can be based on the amount that you actually need it. One is normally enough, but doesn't look as awesome.

Another good method of power generation which is mentioned a lot is Biofuel. Using MFR farms and making Biofuel off the byproducts can create pretty large amounts of power very fast. Tree farms can be doubly powerful, because the excess apples and saplings can be used for biofuel, and the wood can be made into charcoal and used to fuel Steam Engines.

ive tried the nether design and works well, i totally forgot about mystcraft that could be a nice way too. now have you guys tried the bio reactors? looks like another way to go.

dont magmatic engines get overheated sometimes?

• Discord Moderator

Well, yes they can overheat. They don't explode, but they will seize up if they are producing power and there is no place for it to go. You can whack it with a wrench/hammer to get it going again.

Using a cobblestone structure pipe with a gate on an energy cell to output a signal when the cell has space to store energy will make sure the engines never run when no energy is needed (and saves fuel).

They can't really overheat - just overload. I don't remember any instances when the heat has been the cause of the seizing up - that only happens with an energy buildup. Overheating only really happens with combustion engines.