Question about manually installing other mods

obbimauler

Question

I've always been a big fan of technic, but this new launcher confounds me... Why can't I just import all of the mod files directly into the original ".minecraft" folder instead, instead of using the launcher and having two minecrafts?

Although using the launcher is somewhat fine, I'd like to be able t import more mods into my Tekkit folder, such as single player commands. It successfully installs, but Tekkit doesn't recognize it. Is there anything I'm doing wrong, or are there mods in Tekkit that conflict with SPC?

On top of this, is there any way that I could find the old Technic launcher that DOES drop all of the modfiles into the original Minecraft folder? If this is possible my life would be much easier.

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

You're going to have to clarify that post.

If you mean the older installer, than sort of. The one I used back in January was a JAR file that had mods from both what are now Tekkit and Technic in one package, that were put into your main minecraft folder. It was much simpler that way.

This way is actually much simpler. If you want to install your own mods, you go into %appdata%\.techniclauncher\[technicssp|tekkit]\bin and install them to modpack.jar

The new launcher doesn't touch your minecraft folder (unless you install forge to the vanilla modpack.jar)

The launcher method allows the keepers of the pack to push out updates a lot faster and makes it easier for you to install.

They are working on bringing back the old "choose your own mods" functionality, but that's not a primary goal.

tl;dr: you're installing your mod to the wrong place.

Well it makes sense that updates can be pushed out faster, true.

But Thanks! I didn't think of putting classfiles in the modpack archive before. And I would still put any other resources or mod components where I normally would, then?

Ok its early in the morning so excuse me if I'm a little hard to understand or not reading this fully lol. Could I say take the new IC2 update and put it in the Vanilla area to play it there instead of updating the Technic area or would this cause issues?

Ok its early in the morning so excuse me if I'm a little hard to understand or not reading this fully lol. Could I say take the new IC2 update and put it in the Vanilla area to play it there instead of updating the Technic area or would this cause issues?

You could. But you'd have to load modloader, modloadermp, and forge into the modpack.jar first.