Security Concerns

querky

Question

It's not that I don't trust you guys but I have legitimate security concerns about the launcher.

For instance do you keep records of usernames and passwords or do you send them directly to Mojang?

And is it possible for the passwords and usernames to be intercepted during transmission?

I'd be happy if you could provide reassurance.

5 answers to this question

I for one trust technic staff ;) , but they should have some way to prove that they're not doing anything stealthy, also I'm sure by now someone made a illegit version and that may be very dangerous so watch out around those. Most of us want proof it isn't doing anything bad but aren't capable of deducing if it does from the code, so could you please :

a. Get official mojang support saying that you're up to some good

b. Prove it to us some other way

I'm not Technic Staff, and likely won't be, but I assure you that the launcher download from the Technic Team is safe and secure. I play on a server that also uses Spoutcraft to distribute client modifications, and there have been zero reports of account misuse due to using the Spoutcraft launcher.

For that matter, if KakerMix and Co. were planning on hijacking your accounts or credit cards or whatever, it would be much easier to distribute a single mod or hack Mojang's database than it would be to create and run a thriving mod pack that relies totally on third-party developers.

This has been addressed already a few times but I'll try to help. The technic launcher uses spout as a base which anyone can go and download and look at the source to make sure it doesn't collect your information. (It doesn't)

What the launcher does is it logs you in just the same way the official client does. You're communicating directly with the mojang authentication servers. The launcher needs to do this to actually install the game. Obviously we can't distribute mojangs minecraft.jar since that's against their TOS, so the launcher requests it from mojang directly, and mojang requires you to prove you own an account and can legally do that. We at no point have or can ever see your usernames or passes.

Also, what dragonshadz said. Technic is a labour of love.

Edit: That reminds me. If you see any launcher download links or any download links at all popping up on these forums that aren't official, please report them immediately. We don't want anyone's accounts or computers to be compromised or put in danger.