MFR vs. Steve's Carts

Darkwood71

Hey all,

I was wondering what people thought of the cost difference betwen MFR and Steve's Carts. I love Steve's carts, but they are quite expensive to make, and most of the people on my server are just moving directly to MFR (even if they like Steve's carts) because of the cost difference. Don't get me wrong here I think MFR is a great mod, but it seems like it's underpriced with very little drawbacks.

Additionally, a friend on my server is saying that Bio-Fuel produces 150K of MJ per bucket. Is that accurate? It seems ridiculously overpowered if that's the case (lava, the next highest producer, only gives 18k of MJ per bucket). I looked through the config file to see if this was configurable, but I couldn't find a setting for it (if there is one, and I missed it please let me know because I'm going to nerf it in a major way).

Thoughts?

Hrm, I would imagine that it's actually 160k.

However, this is about par for the course - Forestry's ethanol is 200k per bucket, regular fuel is 600k, and in a RailCraft (should you add it) boiler, multiply by 1.4 or so.

It's really not that absurd given that lava is virtually free.

It's really not that absurd given that lava is virtually free.

But then, so is Bio-Fuel. No power to make and uses easy-to-farm renewables. Lava is not completely renewable (well, not without a magma crucible), and it can be a pain to collect. Fuel, at least, has some hurdles to jump through to get it (find oil, collect it, then refine), and the combustion engine can blow up. Ultimately, there's no downside to Bio-Fuel, and it's virutally free as well. I've never played with the other mods (Forestry or Railcraft), so I can't comment on the balance of those. My perspective is from the mods that Tekkit includes.

In any event, thanks for the info. I was unaware of the actual values of MJ/B.

Rather than saying biofuel gives a high amount of energy it would be more correct to say that lava gives a very low amount. Pretty much every fuel source out there is better than lava by an order of magnitude at least. Lava is the simplest and easiest source to obtain in large quantities because the "lava farm" is built in as part of vanilla.

Biofuel actually does have a downside, and it is the space requirement, if you are growing plants without fertilizer then you are going to need massive farms if you are attempting to generate any serious amounts of power. Decreasing power per biofuel bucket just means that players need to create an even more massive farm complex to produce power, so unless you enjoy seeing endless rows of industrial farms everywhere, decreasing biofuel power per bucket is kind of pointless. Unless you decrease it to the point where it costs you power, and then no one will bother.