atomic science fusion reactor...

jakalth

Well, finally got around to testing out atomic science in creative and went strait for the fusion reactor. A normal fusion reactor setup, with a 5x5 torus(well, the center of the torus) for the plasma, does not impress me at all. Barely got enough power out of it to refill the energy used by the reactor. I had followed a video showing how to make it, but I found a flaw in their design.

In the video, they showed adding a wall to the outside of the torus to hold the water. Placing turbines over this water to produce power. After playing around, I found that if you do the same too the center of the torus, covering the top of the fusion reactor with a block(or a redstone energy conduit), you get nearly twice the power back then what you put in. This nearly doubles the energy output of the reactor setup. while it is running, it only needs about 10MJ/tick more power then it is producing, but when it runs out of deuterium, you get that back and more.

Now... If you increase the size of your torus, from 5x5 too a 7x7 torus(again, this is the center ring of the torus), and place 2 reactors in there instead of just 1, you get a reactor setup that will give you a continual 20MJ/tick surplus of power, while it is running. And close to 100,000MJ total off of 10 Deuterium in each reactor. the trick is, you have to fill the center of this torus with electromagnets to keep the plasma from leaking. a single layer at the same level as the reactors should be enough, but I made this 3 magnets deep just to be on the safe side. leaving only an opening below the reactors so I could feed them power and deuterium. And the reactors go in opposing corners, otherwise the plasma will not go all the way around your torus. Once again, have water and turbines on both the outside and inside of the torus to maximize power production.

As a test I have found you can go one step further. A quad reactor setup supplying plasma to 2 separate torus. The inner torus is a tiny 3x3 torus, while the outer one is a huge 11x11 torus. The two torus are built inside each other with the reactors going in the gap between the two. the rest of the gap between them needs to be filled in with electromagnets to keep the plasma in place. The 4 reactors should be roughly centered between the torus, NOT in the corners, so they can supply plasma to both. There is a place for 4 rings of water, 2 on each torus leaving room for 89-97 turbines total. When powered with 10 deuterium in each reactor, the setup produced a constant 30MJ/tick surplus while running, and when all was said and done, I had a surplus of 623,000MJ.

So yeah, it works, but the cost a quite a bit to make. Not sure if the cost is worth the output though.

I too have been playing with fusion, and I may have watched the same tutorial as you and that shit was crazy inefficient I have my own ideas im gonna try on creative before I design a final one for actual use in survival. Have you tried a multi-torus design? Like this but I intend to do a quad torus where the shared edges bleed into one another. and yea I found that you can cover the whole damn thing with water and as long as the setup is turbine - water- magnet- plasma you will get the turbines spinning.

Well, I have found that the plasma will only travel so far before it runs out of heat. seems like 8-9 blocks past the area the plasma is added. so the connected torus would need to be very small in order for the plasma to travel the full loop. maybe only 3x3 for each loop, with a plasma input in each loop.

Also, the larger the torus, the longer the reactors need to run for the setup to become efficient. as in the more fuel you need in each reactor for it to fully heat up.

Tested your idea TokiWartooth and yes, you have found a much more efficient design. 4, 3x3 Torus, each offset by 1 block so that the corner of each is lined up with one of the flat sides of the fusion reactor, and you get a much more efficient. A lot more power output then I would of guessed. Any bigger then a 3x3 torus and the plasma will not reach far enough to heat up the turbines.

It comes down to plasma surface area, the more surface area the more steam thus more power output, I'm not gonna build to max efficiency, mostly because it losses aesthetic appeal at some point usually but that is the simplest way to think about it. would love to see some pics of your design if you have time, overhead and cross sectional are most useful.

EDIT: when you say 3x3 do you mean the plasma is directly around the reactor? meaning plasma touching it? I didn't know that was possible if so, I was doing 5x5 rings 3x3 ring of magnets 5x5 open 7x7 magnets, planning on linking the 5x5's between 4 reactors.

Doesn't work just tested.

EDIT 2: Jak a couple of questions for ya, when you say power positive what is your setup for that? are you testing with a multimeter to make sure the reactors are getting all the energy they are requesting? how is your redstone energy cell array set up, because I just fininshed my test reactor and im still not power positive, and since the multimeter does not show energy active in the pipe I can only see how much is being comsumed I have to assume that my reactor is only outputting about 440 mj/t while the reactors each consume 200 mj/t meaning they consume 800 and produce 440. this is the same problem I ran into before.

Welp fuck me, I decided this was enough fucking around with in game testing thought I would mine some hard data, turns out the programming is done in an asian language and not Japanese, so I have no fucking clue where to look for information about this, pretty much everything on the AS forums is out of date or is measured in UE units which is useless to me without proper conversions this modpack uses. So no hard data on anything about anything involving this mod seems to exist guess ill put off building for a little while longer.

Well, the center is a single fusion reactor, ringed by a single row of electromagnets. This row makes a ring 3x3, that is the center common area. Now using each side of the center ring as part of the outer rings, I add 4 more electromagnets, just too the left side of each face of the inner ring, making it look like a pinwheel. Off of each extension, I count out 2 blocks(half way out) and add 4 electromagnets coming off it perpendicular too that side. Repeat this for each side. Now using this addition, I add another 3 blocks, perpendicular again, to connect it to the next extension to its right. This creates a set of interlocking rings that are 5x5 in size. One ring coming off of each side of the center ring.

Now, inside each of these rings, I add a 3x3 ring of electromagnetic glass. The glass is 1 block higher then the electromagnets. I add a second 3x3 ring that is 1 block lower, leaving an open space between the two rings. I then add 1 electromagnet into the center between the two rings of electromagnetic glass to finish off the torus. Just repeat this for the other 4 sides. This will leave you with the 4 interconnected torus that share common sides. It will also have channels on top of the electromagnets(not the glass kind) for the water to go.

Now place a block or redstone energy conduit on top of the fusion reactor. Water in direct contact with it causes it to do funny things like use extra power and/or not produce enough plasma. And finish it off with the following trick to maxamize water surface area.

All around the outer edge of the reactor make a trough that will hold single blocks of water against the outer surface of the electromagnets(not the top just yet). Once this is completely filled with water source blocks so that there is no flowing water, place steam turbines above the water, all the way around. With the steam turbines in place, they will hold the next layer of water in place as well as generate power. So... Place water source blocks on TOP of all the exposed electromagnets(again, not the glass ones, just the regular type.) This will give you an interconnected channel of water covering most of what you built. Place turbines on top of all this water as well. Now just connect all the turbines together with redstone energy conduits and make sure you click every one of the connections too orange, with the wrench, for send power. then just route a conduit off the web of conduits on your reactor and connect it to at least 2 redstone energy cubes(empty ones).

Place a single full energy cube below the reactor, but leave enough room for two conduits too connect it to your reactor. Now connect the empty energy cubes you placed to collect power, too the full one, and make sure to click the connection on the empty ones too orange for send. The connection from the empty ones to the full one should be separate from the conduits coming down to them from your turbines. Now for a little trick to lower energy loss. make a jumper that connects the conduits coming from your turbines directly to the full energy cube.

Ok, you should be ready to try it out. just make sure the fusion reactor is getting power and add at least 5 deuterium to it. If you built it all correctly, you should see plasma running through the 4 torus in a cyclic pattern and your turbines starting to spin up. if something is not right, you will have a bunch of fire below your reactor.

Cutout view of the torus: M = electromagnet | G = electromagnetic glass | will be 3 blocks high and 3 blocks wide.

G

M M

G

Ok waaaay too detailed, I already know most of that, however 2 things 1st how did you test the water on top of the reactor causing odd things and be precise here it matters 2nd you are wasting a ton of potential energy by using glass at all on the top and not harvesting steam from the top rows, tomorrow Ill post pics of my current design. The problem I am having is the reactors ask for 200 mj a tick, if you are only putting one REC below each reactor you are only giving them 100 each, that's easy to skim energy of the top, however if you give them what they ask for which is 200 a tick, you can't actually they don't produce enough, that's what I am saying, if they produce the same amount of power at 100mj/t as 200mj/t that would work fine, the real problem I have is why are they asking for more than they need then and where does the problem lay is it the reactors fault or the conduit because if that is the case it is clearly unintended.

Way too detailed? Yeah, a little. But this way others reading this thread can hopefully try making it.

Using glass on top, well, that is mostly for looks. I wasn't sure if using regular electromagnets would allow for more locations for water or not.

200mj a tick required by the reactor. Ok, that one is news to me. I did not know that actually. I'll have to play around with my reactor and see what results I get with a second cube hooked to the reactor in parallel. I'll let you know.

As far as the power requirements a problem with either the reactor or the REC, I doubt it. In real life a fusion reactor of this type requires a huge amount of power to fire up. We are talking large city power requirements. So it does make sense now that I think about it.

Alright, I got some results here. I have been running the reactor on a pulse of just 5 deuterium, then letting it cool down completely. With two REC's hooked up in parallel to the reactor(outputting a combined total of 200mj/tick) 124,400mj of power was drained from the two cubes while the reactor produced a total of 90,930mj before it cooled off enough for the turbines to shut off. running at a loss. hmmm. conflicting results this time.

Ran it a second time. This time on just 1 REC outputting just 50mj/tick. Same pulse of just 5 deuterium. It used only 49,350mj while the turbines produced a total of 235,508 before coming to a complete stop.

That interesting actually. Seems you need to limit the power consumption of the reactor to get higher outputs. Seems a little counter productive but works?

Note, for both tests I had disconnected the link between the empty and full REC's so the reactor was not feeding its self this time. I also still had glass electromagnets in the top of each torus. have not played around with replacing them with regular electromagnets.

Here are some pics of the reactor:

The reactor layout before adding water. Reactor is under the center stone block.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/4torusreactor2_zps28591de9.jpg?t=1371398893 The reactor after being filled with water and wired up.

Ok, I fixed the design a bit as you suggested, replaced the glass with regular electromagnets. Low and behold, I had a 10% increase in power use by the reactor, and without adding any more turbines or water, got a 30% increase in output. Wow. You were not kidding about costing myself efficiency. Reactor efficiency is now at about 6:1 power increase(was just under 5:1) with just 5 deuterium used. A basic reactor is only about 4:1 if you are lucky(or 1:1 if it decides to eat all the power) Got a power output of about 321,000mj while it used about 52,000mj.

I added water and turbines to the top of the replaced electromagnets and tried it a second time. Only increased power output by 2,000mj and it used basically the same amount of power to make it.

eliminating the effects of radiation need to be done on a per block basis. starting with what is causing the radiation. Containing your reactor in a large room, or deep underground will reduce the leakage of radiation blocks. and if radiation blocks start to spawn, manually removing them is your best option. Dig them up and get rid of the blocks. Wearing a Hazmat suit helps with this. keeps you from getting sick.

Fusion does not produce radiation, thankfully. But plasma leaks can be even more destructive though.

• 3 months later...

I've been working on my design of the fusion reactor, in competition with a friend of mine and I have managed to build a rather complicated reactor that is leagues ahead of any other I have seen, it produces too much energy to use MJ or MW based transport effeciently so I am using EU Glass Fiber Cables. I realize that the last post on this topic was a while ago but I wanted to share my results anyway.

Version 7 of my reactor layout http://imgur.com/NQMb7i5

Its energy output http://imgur.com/Qfvk8B8

Using one reactor