Big Dig lag!

drknss620

Ok so I've had a server up and running for a week or so now, and whenever i connect electricity (solar panels heat generators etc etc) to power boxes i lose alot of performance and even if i pipe the energy in from far away it doesn't help. Ive read the sticky forum and many others but have had no success. Does anyone have mods or addons they use for their server and client to help with these issues?

My server computer has 4GB RAM runs ubuntu 64bit and also runs the game in the ram itself (like ramdisk for windows) but nothing I have tried thus far seems to fix the energy lag

What are you using as wires? I've noticed a fair bit of performance drop with universal cable, and totally gave up with copper wire. Switching to redstone conduit seemed to help a lot. I'm not sure, but the problems with the other options seem to come how the flow is calculated when several stores/sinks are connected to the same network, and also from the animations on the universal cable.

I tried the redstone conduit but they dont seem to be friendly with my fusion reactor >.< rawr . Also some people on my server are venturing very far out, and its causing the game to be unplayable, like redstone doors take a min to open at times, are there any mods that work well with BigDig for lag reduction?

I have to admit that I gave up with fission and fusion reactors - the lag caused by the mass of turbines and cabling was just too much for my poor server (2GB normally 4-6 players). Since switching the chunk-loaded shared power station over to using a pile of MFR's biofuel generators (and automated farms for fuel production), it has been coping admirably. The other thing we really had trouble with was MFFS's field projectors, having a force field up made the server very unresponsive, and caused it to fall over regularly with large-ish fields. The interdiction matrix seems fine though. Also, you mentioned that players are roaming about a lot. Generating new chunks can be pretty taxing on the CPU.

I'm using 1.3.9, and managed to get MCPC+ installed without problems using the instructions here in the forums. The NoLagg bukkit plugin looks like it might be useful, and it sounds like there are a fair amount of other plugins that focus on this area. If you don't want to mess with the server too much though, I think there is a forge mod called aPerf that can do come performance tweaks. I was seriously considering trying some lag reduction mods/plugins, but since ditching the giant reactors and force fields, no one has had any problems really. In fact, I've been happily adding extra functionality through plugins.

I have to admit that I gave up with fission and fusion reactors - the lag caused by the mass of turbines and cabling was just too much for my poor server (2GB normally 4-6 players). Since switching the chunk-loaded shared power station over to using a pile of MFR's biofuel generators (and automated farms for fuel production), it has been coping admirably. The other thing we really had trouble with was MFFS's field projectors, having a force field up made the server very unresponsive, and caused it to fall over regularly with large-ish fields. The interdiction matrix seems fine though. Also, you mentioned that players are roaming about a lot. Generating new chunks can be pretty taxing on the CPU.

I'm using 1.3.9, and managed to get MCPC+ installed without problems using the instructions here in the forums. The NoLagg bukkit plugin looks like it might be useful, and it sounds like there are a fair amount of other plugins that focus on this area. If you don't want to mess with the server too much though, I think there is a forge mod called aPerf that can do come performance tweaks. I was seriously considering trying some lag reduction mods/plugins, but since ditching the giant reactors and force fields, no one has had any problems really. In fact, I've been happily adding extra functionality through plugins.

My server is running how much... 768 mb And the problem is not fission and fusion reactors

You might have corrupted chunks Or an host that lied to you.(they are very rare hosts are so honest :D yay!)

Or your host has unstable lagg reductions .

My server can take on 25 players whilst running Tekkit.

Never tried big dig but even then it could easyly run 768 MB.

If you run the server yourself tough ... Well non-hosted servers have NONE of the server stabilityness of hosts :) all the lagg gets mass taken on so ... Not much you can do expect for checking your files on corrupted chunks.

Well, as you said, big dig is a very heavy pack. Having more or less players online doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference as we are fairly close by, and everyone has a number of dimensional anchors going anyhow. It's more the huge number of mobs we have running around from all the spawners in the gigantic dungeons underground, the Monster Apocalypse plugin, and the and the NPCs dotted about. As well as the multitude of always on ME networks and automated machines.

The fusion reactor genuinely made the biggest difference though. I originally hooked up the turbines with universal cable, and it was unplayable, so switched to redstone conduit. It was only days later after an unfortunate incident with some nearby combustion engines, that I really noticed the effect the fusion reactor was having. After it was blown up the difference was like night and day.

Due to the moving textures that require calculations based on the flow of energy through Uni-Cable's, every piece has to be rendered. In long or very large areas where there are many of them in operation, it will cause hordes of lag.

Another thing is the number of sounds being played by the turbines. I count 3 unique sounds just for the turbine alone. The ticking one is the most absurd and needs to die. They're turbines, not Geiger counters. Each turbine is also spawning its own sound instance. This is problematic as it consumes ram quickly.

Mod author suggestions:

• Reduce number of concurrent sounds played by turbines
  • Fix Steam Funnels (they don't work)
  • Make cable a two state, non-transparent, static image

Okay, well i did try removing all of my Universal cables but for some reason not all the machines accept it, i dont even think the battery box i have was accepting a flow from them, which is really bugging me. I remember back in IC2 the cables worked much better and really the only thing we ever added was optifine (tekkit server i believe) we even had chunk loaders so that the server would stay on in certain areas so power was always flowing. But now its like ugh!!! wires/cables dont all work well together :P and to whoever said about something or another about the host, its my own server, i host a 20 slot server, and currently run Ubuntu with 4GB of ram. Supposedly im using a form of ramdisk built into it but not sure how thats working atm :P. Another question I would like to ask is, When I upgrade my Server pc, will that alone help with the large demand that big dig has, EX: going from the current 4GB to a 12GB rig i have with a (i know its not best but itll be a 3.4 Quad) with 1 SSD and itll run the server on RAMDISK. I feel like im some aspects itll improve but overall i feel like with the current state its in now, it wont have large effects. Even now itll say the server cant keep up / did the time change message but the server isnt even maxing out the resources it has ... so im always at a loss with MC servers :P haha *phew... long post hahah*