Combustion Engine Fans Unite

Ironmoose

So much love for the magmatic engine. yet I find them boring.

a few tips on combustion engines:

do not use BC conductive pipes, or BC waterproof pipes, they just dont work/buggy.

redstone energy conduit and liquiduct are your friend.

using lava 1mj/tick

using oil 3mj/jtick magmatics do 4mj/tick

using fuel 6mj/tick

8 combustion to run my quarry at top speed. takes 11 magmatics to do that with .6 more mj the quarry can use^^

your engines will also overheat and use an insane amount of water when there is no where for the created energy to go. this can empty a fairly large infinite water source and leave you high and dry. I like to have 3x3 water for every engine i am cooling. might be overkill, but then so is using these engines in the first place lol

I have also observed that my engines now no longer blow up 0.o. I get the explosion sound, then the engines just lock up at red. like the magmatics do. idk if this is the new tekkit, or some plugin from the server i am on.

now go find some oil!

Why would you use lava in a combustion engine? Magmatics produce 4 times the power.

I'm also confused as to why it takes less engines producing less power than a magmatic for the same result according to you. You sure you got that one right? Magmatics produce 4MJ/t once they're warmed up, more than that 3.

As for cooling, try an Aqueous Accumulator - it's like a pump except it needs no power, never uses up water sources (no chance of it running out), and run pretty quickly once you've got at least 3+ source blocks next to it. I find they're a much better option for keeping engines cool than any number of pumps.

• Discord Moderator

using lava 1mj/tick 8 combustion to run my quarry at top

using oil 3mj/jtick magmatics do 4mj/tick speed. takes 11 magmatics to do that

using fuel 6mj/tick with .6 more mj [than] the quarry can use^^

your engines will also overheat and use an insane amount of water when there is no where for the created energy to go. this can empty a fairly large infinite water source and leave you high and dry. I like to have 3x3 water for every engine i am cooling. might be overkill, but then so is using these engines in the first place lol

A few points:

• Water pump pipes can be good here as well. One water pump pipe can keep 4 combustion engines supplied from a single source block while using no power
  • It's going to take a lot more than 8 MJ/t to run a quarry at full speed. You might want to check the current BC3 wiki. It will take 8 combustion engines running on fuel to run a quarry at (about) top speed.

That being said, yes, I think they are awesome and fun to deal with, and they can easily be configured to compensate for needing to be cooled down completely before restarting by using RS Energy Cells and BC Gates.

wow just wow, that post got all garbled, I edited and you can see what i meant to say lol.

ya my math was based on the engines running fuel at 6mj/tick.

as to the aqueous accumulator. i just haven't used em yet. how many engines can one keep up with? so far I've had 8 engines on fuel being cooled with one pump.

I used to use the same setup.

3x3 water, with a pump for each engine.

But I now use the water pump pipe for 4 engines each.

This is the setup I have been using. I have made it much better since.

http://youtu.be/FP0jtKm8Tw4

I am working on a setup were I use a Bio setup with MFR, to power a oil fab, so I dont have to find oil all the time. And the power from the combustion engines are pure power.