Appreciation for non-adf.ly modders

Hammerson

I put money into my flattr account again recently, but as usual not a lot of the things I would like to support have flattr buttons. Well, there's one guy who dreams of becoming an indie game developer, but he's already had his.

If you make a mod that I've ever used (or would like to use) and don't use adf.ly, post your flattr ID here and I'll give you some money. Possibly not a lot, but hopefully more than most people could earn from participating in adf.ly's by "push malware on kids" scheme.

If I was a modder, I would probably appreciate the donations, but I wouldn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of your awesomeness or something by asking for a donation. There are plenty of modders that deserve a thanks though.

You might want to actively go looking for modders that don't do adf.ly instead of asking them to ask for donations.

OK, TheByteMaster (For coherence I'm not editing the top post):

"I don't like adf.ly. It's several times offered me up ads pretending to be the end-goal download, with the goal of getting me to install some dubious executable. Even when it doesn't, it serves ads directed at kids, and for stuff I really disapprove of getting kids hooked on (e.g. gambling and exploitative gaming). Since kids are a significant part of Minecraft's audience, this is especially serious. I hate how popular it has become in the minecraft modding community.

I don't mind supporting the mod makers, and I'm a firm believer in paying to see more of what I want. But I don't think letting them have pennies scammed from kids is the way to do it. I'm putting some money where my mouth is, too.

So here's the deal: I've put an amount in my flattr account. Not a crazy amount, but enough that you would probably say "wow, that's pretty nice" if you got all of it all at once.

If you are working on a mod that I enjoy or at least respect the craftsmanship of (all in all the official FtB and Technic Launcher packs qualify at the very least, also most serious mods outside them, e.g. Emasher's), and you don't use adf.ly, post your flattr number, and I'll flattr you. Public button on download site or forum would be nice.

Flattr works the way that over the next few months, the sum will be distributed among everyone I've flattered. It's supposed to free us from the cognitive burden of deciding who deserves how much, personally I'm lowering that burden further by flattr-ing any mod maker who uses flattr and not adf.ly.

If it looks a little too much like asking for money in public and you're uncomfortable with it, PM me instead, as long as I can verify you're you, it's the same. I'm Hammerson on the Technic forums, and vintermann on reddit. Please, let us stand up for an alternative to adf.ly for showing our approval."

Four non-adf.ly mod makers have so far supported this initiative publicly and posted flattr links: dan200 of ComputerCraft, Minalien of MFFS (the GPL branch of it), MysteriousAges of Magic Bees and Impiaa of MyWorldGen. In addition, I see 5 other people have flattr'ed dan200/ComputerCraft, so we're apparently gaining some traction with supporters as well. You're great, folks.

(Two people have flattered me. This is a bit silly I think, and I rather they didn't since I don't want people to think I'm in this for myself - but I'm not going to take money out of flattr anyway, so it's not a big deal. It'll end up with the people I've flattred, mostly modders)

(Two people have flattered me. This is a bit silly I think, and I rather they didn't since I don't want people to think I'm in this for myself - but I'm not going to take money out of flattr anyway, so it's not a big deal. It'll end up with the people I've flattred, mostly modders)

Hmm, seems like a great way to show support for your campaign to me. Maybe this should be a thing?

Honestly though, reading through some more of your stuff, I'm tempted to flatter either you or some of the non-adf.ly modders I like. I probably will as soon as a few things I have to do get cleared up.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate adfly it seems almost every mod for Minecraft has to be downloaded from there. It isn't that I don't want to wait for five seconds. It is all the bogus ads that link to somewhere else than what they are advertising. Programs that might be free, but come with adware or spyware. I find it hard to believe the modders don't know this. One reason why I prefer to the Technic launcher. I avoid the possibility of infecting my computer from downloading a mod from adfly.