Autospawner range

Kotja

9x9x5 is what the FTB wiki states. This allows any non-boss mob to be contained, up to and including Ghasts. You'll probably want multiple grinders in place (I think 3 will do it) to cover the whole floor. The Mindcrafters have a fantastic video for TekkitLite that shows their setup if you're interested. Most of the stuff in there should still apply here.

Making a mob farm with an auto spawner. Works, but you'll still need plenty of mob essence to feed it. That being said. Best way to run it is with a way to swap out the safari net(reusable one works, single use one does not). So either access below it if your using a grinder, or have a 1 block high access hole at ground level so you can reach it from outside the spawn room. I also suggest making the room at least 6 blocks high(inside) to make spawning ghasts easier. They can be a bit finicky to get to spawn properly.

If you want a mob farm and do not use Soul Shards, you should make two mob farms. One dedicated to slimes, because slimes killed by grinders break down into their smaller versions as usual and give a mob essence surplus even when you keep the spawner running.

That surplus should be fed into your actual mob spawner. It behaves just like a usual mob spawner - as said before 9x9x5, but because mob spawn points are usually centered on the corner of a block, it should be at least 6 high - , but it ignores light levels and needs to be controlled via redstone.

If you want to direct mobs into your 5x5 grinder kill zone, you can use conveyor belts. Be careful with ghasts though: While they are worthwhile thanks to the safari net supply, their line of sight can clip through a 1 thick block layer and cause them to fire at you, potentially destroying your stuff.

You can also make an infinite gold farm by auto-spawning zombie pigmen.

A slime setup will chew through your early- to mid-game power supply however, because the grinder takes roughly 400 MJ per kill and the auto-spawner I think even more.

If you want a mob farm and do not use Soul Shards, you should make two mob farms. One dedicated to slimes, because slimes killed by grinders break down into their smaller versions as usual and give a mob essence surplus even when you keep the spawner running.

I thought the slime 'exploit' was fixed in this version of MFR? I know it was mentioned somewhere as being corrected, but it could be the v160's version of the mod.