What to do next...

plasticcap

Im kind of at a place where I've explored and tried a fair amount of stuff, but dont know what to do next. As of now i have a quarry, pulverizer, and an effective way of processing ores. But im still using steam engines for all my machines, and i dont know what to upgrade to because they use so much coal and can't be left running. I have a small supply of diamonds and valuables, but dont know what machines to build to be more effective or have a system that is running constantly.

Probably the most effective power generation option, especially in the middle game, is MineFactory Reloaded BioFuel. As far as materials go, it doesn't require any diemonds, but you will need to do some adventuring as there are some somewhat exotic materials in the recipes.

For a BioFuel setup, you'll need a bio-reactor, a biofuel generator, and a source of organic materials to melt into biofuel. I'd check the official wiki ( look up ^ ) for more info.

I agree with dwwojcik that biofuel is a great middle game power generation option. Your other mid game option would be Combustion engines running on refined Fuel. Comparing the two, Combustion engines are more dangerous because they can blow up if they overheat or if they are under-utilized but they have a simpler setup. BioFuel doesn't have the explosion problem but does require a steady stream of organic materials to function which usually means an automated farm of some sort. Often times what happens is that your farms will get unloaded, your stockpiles of organics will deplete and your power will stop. So either you're babysitting your engines because they'll blow up or you're babysitting your farms kind of the same difference to me.

After getting your next tier power situation squared away there are several complex builds you could attempt. First you should start with is a basic Applied Energistics storage network. At first you'd just use it to store items but AE is also great at automating your crafting later on. Build yourself a kick-ass modular powersuit (very resource intensive but worth it). Build a MFFS Force Field around your base. Build a rocket and go to space! Build a moon base or a space station! Explore other dimensions with MystCraft ages. Explore the dark corners of the realm by jumping through a Dimensional Door. Build a Mining Laser rig. Or go for the end game power generation and build a fission or fusion reactor.

Just set yourself some goals and work towards them. Anything will do. I once wanted to fill multiple large tanks with sewage so that I could claim they where full of sh*t :D

Im kind of at a place where I've explored and tried a fair amount of stuff, but dont know what to do next. As of now i have a quarry, pulverizer, and an effective way of processing ores. But im still using steam engines for all my machines, and i dont know what to upgrade to because they use so much coal and can't be left running. I have a small supply of diamonds and valuables, but dont know what machines to build to be more effective or have a system that is running constantly.

You can use an MFR tree farm to get wood blocks to make charcoal and switch you steam engines over to renewable fuel. The saplings can be used in a MFR bio-reactor to make bio-fuel.