informative: why mystcraft DOES NOT cause lag.

lytzhadow

so basicly almost every tekkit server that i see that isnt whitelisted (and even alot of the whitelisted ones still do this) have mystcraft completely disabled on the premise that it causes lag.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!

the reason why most people think it causes lag is because of all the worlds it creates. the thing is mystcraft has a built in world unloader to prevent lag. how this works is when a player enters a mystcraft dimension it loads up the world. as soon as there are no loaded chunks in the world mystcraft unloads the world so that it doesnt hog server memory and cause lag. as such if you disable chunk loaders teleport tethers ect (or make rules against using these things in mystcraft worlds) then mystcraft should cause no more lag then one or two extra small worlds would.

the reason why im making this informative post is because mystcraft is realy a lovely mod. at the least it prevents your main world from looking like the worlds biggest tornado ran through it then a bunch of ants moved in and decided to make their anthills square (those dirt houses)

so yeah tekkit server owners if you have read this please stop disabling mystcraft. it just hurts your server if you do.

*side note: this ONLY applies to mystcraft. as far as i am aware no other mod that generates worlds on a regular basis (IE dimensional doors) has an inbuilt system to unload worlds that are not in use.

*side note 2: i havent tested this myself yet but if im correct then each descriptive book saves the files to generate its world. as such if you realy start to have a pile of world files then it should be okay to erase all of the world files for mystcraft and it will still generate new worlds using the same paramiters for the books that players still have.

Mystcraft does not cause lag, directly.

But, using Mystcraft causes Minecraft to not completely empty it's cache. Mystcraft its self is not at fault. In 1.5.4 and earlier versions of Minecraft, the lag is caused by multiple dimensions being loaded/unloaded. Minecraft its self has issues with multiple dimensions in general, no matter the source, even the vanilla dimensions. Try jumping between the Nether and the over world several times while someone is also in the End. Watch the servers memory get eaten, though at a much slower rate.

The way to run a server that uses Mystcraft is not to disable it, but to limit the number of ages that can be created. The lower the number of ages, the less issues minecraft has with keeping memory usage to a minimum. How the number of ages is kept to a minimum depends on the users. Also the number of ages a server can effectively handle varies with each server. A lower powered server can handle around 8 -10 dimensions with only a minor drop in performance. This includes the overworld, nether, and end as the first 3 dimensions, so 5-7 additional mystcraft ages. This is just an example.

Mystcraft does not cause lag, directly.

The way to run a server that uses Mystcraft is not to disable it, but to limit the number of ages that can be created. The lower the number of ages, the less issues minecraft has with keeping memory usage to a minimum. How the number of ages is kept to a minimum depends on the users. Also the number of ages a server can effectively handle varies with each server. A lower powered server can handle around 8 -10 dimensions with only a minor drop in performance. This includes the overworld, nether, and end as the first 3 dimensions, so 5-7 additional mystcraft ages. This is just an example....

That would make me so sad. I am in the high 700s for mystcraft worlds in my game.