Tekkit Mac window is a jumbled mess

Lotsofjoy

Being able to use Mods with Minecraft was one of the only things my kids REALLY wanted for Christmas. So I could really use some help.

So far we've gotten the Tekkit Launcher to work on a Mac Mini running Maverick, and one child is happily playing with something called "Diamond Dimension." but for the other child, who we're trying to get up and running on the MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5, after the mod extracts, it jumps to a window that looks like a patchwork of jumbled graphics. Is there any way to get past this?

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the MacBook Pro to Mavericks yet. There are still some things I need to do for work that aren't compatible with Mavericks. :( so if there is a workaround for this glitch on 10.8.5 PLEASE help me figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would make a couple of 9 year old twins very very happy :D THANKS!!!

This is what we saw the first time. It went through the whole Download status bar, the when we clicked "PLAY" it said that it needed to do some stuff before it could work, and then gave us a Window that looked like this.

ScreenShot2013-12-25at25907PM.png

So we shut it all down, rebooted it all, redownloaded the Mod, and The second try yielded this:

ScreenShot2013-12-25at31406PM.png

You know.... When the email came in that someone had responded to this, my kids... My NINE YEAR OLD kids. were SO EXCITED that someone might be able to help us figure this out. Instead they got a steaming serving of "the internet is full of !@#$ers" Thank you so very much for that HELPFUL introduction to how to get along with people on the internet.

Merry Christmas to you too, Tony.

Have you tried updating your Java? That may have something to do with what's going on. Also... I've no idea if this is related to the following thread, but it's worth a shot if you've no other leads:

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-wont-launch-in-osx-mavericks.33400/

(sorry if it's not related, as I'm not a Mac user)

512 Vram? hmm that maybe the issue, not 100% sure but I have run into a similer issue before, the very few macs I have dealt with just cant run tekkit, too much stuff going on. but we will try anyway. in the tekkit options how much ram have you dedicated to tekkit? you should get a dedicated ati card, something with 2GB dedicated video ram possible

JUST installed java last night. So I assume that it's the latest version.

It IS working on the computer running Mavericks. NOT working on the one running Mountain Lion.

the issue is the version of macOS. that's why it works on the mavericks mac, while not on the mountain lion one. update macOS.

edit: and don't max out your ram usage, it will cause more issues than it solves. 2-2.5GB MAX is more than you should need allocated to the game, even for a pack like big dig with tons of mods. increasing it past that will actually slow the game down due to how java works. I'd go into more detail but it's complicated and very computer sciencey no matter how you slice it.

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the macbook Pro yet. I still have somethings I need to be able to access for work that are not mavericks compatible. :( So I need at least one computer that is still on 10.8 until that gets remedied.

Currently SOME mods are working through tekkit. Neither OS seems to like Tekkit much because most mods are NOT working. So I think tekkit is not the answer for us, even when I AM able to upgrade the laptop to Mavericks. makes me wonder why there even IS a mac download for it.

I'm Computer Seciency enough that I understand how things work.I've tried to install the mods manually. I believe I have everything in the correct Library folders, but the game doesn't recognize them. If anyone could help me get that ironed out it would be a good solution for us too.

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the macbook Pro yet. I still have somethings I need to be able to access for work that are not mavericks compatible. :( So I need at least one computer that is still on 10.8 until that gets remedied.

Currently SOME mods are working through tekkit. Neither OS seems to like Tekkit much because most mods are NOT working. So I think tekkit is not the answer for us, even when I AM able to upgrade the laptop to Mavericks. makes me wonder why there even IS a mac download for it.

I'm Computer Seciency enough that I understand how things work.I've tried to install the mods manually. I believe I have everything in the correct Library folders, but the game doesn't recognize them. If anyone could help me get that ironed out it would be a good solution for us too.

whoops, didn't read the OP carefully enough apparently. in that case, the only recourse is simply fullscreening the window using fn+f11 on most laptops. sometime it's overridden to simply maximize the window and not fullscreen it, which may need to be disabled first. edit: once you get in-game, you can go into options and toggle fullscreen to on, that should cause it to fullscreen automatically once it reaches the main menu. depending on your laptop, that may take several minutes.

as for some mods not working or showing up, could you expound on that a bit? do you mean not appearing in the launcher, or in game? which mods? all of them should work, even on mountain lion. I've done it personally.

lastly, the reason there's a mac download is because the game is compatible with macs, as are all the mods in it. the window issue you're having is not actually a problem with tekkit, it's a problem with older macOS java VMs and LWJGL, a library that minecraft uses. there's not much we can do to change it on our end, unfortunately.

the issue is the version of macOS. that's why it works on the mavericks mac, while not on the mountain lion one. update macOS.

edit: and don't max out your ram usage, it will cause more issues than it solves. 2-2.5GB MAX is more than you should need allocated to the game, even for a pack like big dig with tons of mods. increasing it past that will actually slow the game down due to how java works. I'd go into more detail but it's complicated and very computer sciencey no matter how you slice it.

Actually could you please explain that? I run the game with 8GB dedicated and it runs beautifully, my massive logistic system required it. but then again I am running at top end alienware with java 64bit so it can probably can handle it better, but I would be very interested to read your take on this

Thanks

Actually could you please explain that? I run the game with 8GB dedicated and it runs beautifully, my massive logistic system required it. but then again I am running at top end alienware with java 64bit so it can probably can handle it better, but I would be very interested to read your take on this

Thanks

the reason has to do with garbage collection and how java handles memory. when memory is allocated, it stays that way until a certain amount of time has passed, or an upper limit of allocated memory is reached. at that point, the garbage collector does what it does best, collect garbage. it goes through all available memory and frees any that is no longer in use so it can be made available to the application once again. this all happens seamlessly in the background. once you get over a few gigs of memory, that process starts taking longer and longer as it has more and more memory to clean. unless you're running a large server with many players and/or loaded chunks, 8gb is overkill on a massive scale no matter the size of your logic system.

good to know, what would be considered a large server with many players and/or loaded chunks, I personally have 520 chunks loaded constantly not including all the other players

that's a decent amount, but I don't know if it's 8 gigs worthy. I rather doubt it though.

• 3 months later...