Pluggin API and the future of Tekkit.

Norman1346

I was watching a snapshot spotlight on the new version of vanilla MC and it looks like they finally got rid of numbered block IDs in preparation for the upcoming plugin API.

Will the launch of a successful plugin API mean the end of the need for the Tekkit pack? If combining mods becomes as easy as dragging and dropping will there be any need for what you guys do here?

I sort of hope not. While I would welcome the ability to put together my own mod packs I have a certain fondness for Tekkit, if it disappeared I would be sad.

EDIT for clarity; That is to say I hope that tekkit pack will still be around, not that I hope there won't be a need for what the tekkit pack offers.

• Discord Moderator

And making a modpack for use in the Technic Launcher is really pretty trivial. Making one with 135 mods where everything works well together (TreeCapitator, Forge/Immibis Microblocks, and a ton of others) can be challenging, but a pack with 15 or 20 mods is easy. You could start from scratch and have a pack up and running that everyone could use in less than an hour, easy peasy.

And making a modpack for use in the Technic Launcher is really pretty trivial. Making one with 135 mods where everything works well together (TreeCapitator, Forge/Immibis Microblocks, and a ton of others) can be challenging, but a pack with 15 or 20 mods is easy. You could start from scratch and have a pack up and running that everyone could use in less than an hour, easy peasy.

While I am sure some people can. I could not. I have never changed my skin, or backed up a world, or taken a screenshot, or changed a config file. I am about as able to make a mod pack as I am to spin straw into gold. It is not easy for everybody. That is one thing those comfortable with tech knowledge seem not to appreciate.

It took me a year to figure out how to turn off my windows 8 laptop.

Back to my original question, are you saying you think the plugin API won't diminish the need for the tekkit pack because large packs will still require much work??

• Discord Moderator

norman: yes, that would be my assessment. There is just such a HUGE amount of momentum with the current system that it will take a while to switch over even after it is rolled out and feature complete.

As for the required tech knowledge, yeah, I do get that. However, as an example, this is would be the steps for a single mod modpack (and more is just repeat the steps after add mod)

1) Get the example/starting file from the top-ish post in the Platform Pagoda forum here and extract it somewhere. We'll call that PACKLOC

2) Download mod and copy into mods folder in PACKLOC

3) Zip up the contents of PACKLOC

4) Put the zip somewhere you can download it with a public URL (dropbox, amazon, self, etc.)

5) Register on technic page and "add pack" with the URL from Step 4 or edit pack properties with new zip download if updating

6) Add custom pack from Step 5 into the launcher

7) Run pack and resolve any ID conflicts the game complains about

8) Copy config files to the config folder in PACKLOC

9) Repeat steps 2, 3, 4, 5

Alright, you got me. Once you know how, or understand the back-end it's trivial. Otherwise it's probably overwhelming. My bad.

Of course, this is why I maintain custom packs for my servers because expecting just anyone to be able to assemble a bunch of different mods into a coherent pack can be a tall order.