Casting Channels not working properly

BigAl607

Tried posting this elsewhere, guess I'll try here.  Started a new world and got the smeltery all set up.  Everything works except the casting channels.  When you right-click on them, nothing happens if you're at an angle.  If you're straight on, part of the channel you click on disappears.  Also, there's some gibberish text in the item description as well when you hover over the channel.  I have the latest version available, as I just upgraded when it asked me to the other day.  I do have video of this happening I can upload somewhere if you need to see it as well.

9Sw7F7s.png

Do you mind if I ask what you were doing with the casting channel when they were working? :D

I never came up with a useful application for them that I didn't come up with a better way of doing.

Edit: Not knocking you for using them, genuinely interested.

Edited by Loader

I meant functionally, every time I used them like that I ended up with leftover materials in the channel, so I just ended up using drains straight to faucets into basins (for blocks) or casting tables (for tools and ingots).  I never found a useful way of using the leftovers - I guess you could clear out the entire smeltery by timing it right (and having an ingot cast by a faucet), but if you were going to do that why not just use the faucets onto tables in the first place?

Faucets aren't working for me, either.  The channels are the only item giving me the garbled text you see in the image I posted above.  I've never had problems with the channels before the latest update.  I even tried going back to an older version, but that didn't work either.  Thinking I may need to uninstall the launcher and re-install it or something.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

You can back up your saved world by copying the save file from %appdata% -> Roaming -> .technic -> modpacks -> [modpack you're playing] -> saves

Copy that and paste it on desktop or wherever, then reset your modpack. Either by clicking the cog-wheel button below the modpack icon on the launcher window or delete the modpack folder

How do casting channels work really? I tried to use them but I never quite understood. My thinking was that they were like fluid ducts but I could never get them to work. In the 1.0c or whatever I made lava move using the pipes but I don't remember how.

They're supposed to have a toggle open/closed like the faucets which would allow fluid to flow into them from the smeltery.  A few versions back they were bugged so they couldn't be closed, now they seem to be bugged so they can't be opened.

Their main use when they used to work was for shifting fluid into a smeltery from another one/TC steelworks high oven, but with fluiducts (and without the TC deep tanks and high oven) they're not really useful at all - even if they were working (which they're not, in case you still didn't get that ;) ).