Apparently "Extra Utilities" wasn't on the wiki. Also, unstable ingots will destroy perfect power armor.

Moleculor

So I just tried making some sonar goggles. I didn't have any trouble the LAST time I made them, so I wasn't really doing anything too out of the ordinary this second attempt. Just built a table out in the wilderness to protect my house from any explosions if something goes wrong.

The problem? Ingots exploding don't actually damage the surroundings. They just kill you and destroy all your stuff.

Additional problem? Yes, this seems to bypass armor. Even powersuit armor with a full set of forcefields on it and a full battery charge. Yes, it even destroys the armor once you die.

This problem is further compounded by the fact that the Technic wiki didn't have a page explaining this fact. I was worried about damage to the surroundings, not losing the last week's worth of materials gathering to try and collect what little shiny dust I can scrounge up (since the only reliable way to get it is to use a block breaker on what little nether redstone ore exists to gather the blocks and pulverize them for cinnabar. I'd use silk touch, but I haven't seen a silk touch enchant since 2012).

So. Damn. Frustrated.

I went in and added Extra Utilities to the mod list on the Tekkit page, and then added pages for Unstable Ingots.

The formatting on the pages for Extra Utilities and Unstable ingots is completely non-existent and the version number listed is ????, as I'm pretty much too damn frustrated to try and figure out how to format them like all the other pages, but hey, at least they're there now and the ball is rolling. Someone else can clean them up, it's better than not having them at all.

Edited by Moleculor

They either changed something or you experienced a bug, or maybe I did. I just made some unstable ingots last week and the first batch blew me up in full power armor but I retrieved my items and proceeded to make the ingots again. I'll go try it out real quick I suppose.

EDIT: Yeah, all my items popped out when I died for me to pick up again.

Edited by TheFired3mon

They either changed something or you experienced a bug, or maybe I did. I just made some unstable ingots last week and the first batch blew me up in full power armor but I retrieved my items and proceeded to make the ingots again. I'll go try it out real quick I suppose.

EDIT: Yeah, all my items popped out when I died for me to pick up again.

Oh how I wish that were true for me.

The only things that popped out were the two ender eyes I was using to make the goggles and my (now badly damaged) backup Mystcraft linking book.

Part of the issue may have been the lag involved. I pulled the item out before my client thought the ingots exploded, but after the server thought they exploded. I think. All I know is that I had the goggles on my cursor and out of the crafting table before I exploded.

I am SO pissed. Shiny dust is a crazy rare resource, and I think I lost more than sixteen of them when that armor died. This makes the second time I've lost every item I was carrying to a stupid lag-related death.

Extra Utilities adds some ingeniously useful stuff as well as some very quirky strangeness. A helpful fellow posted a supposedly "stable unstable" recipe >here, maybe that helps.

As for shiny dust, that is indeed very rare, given the demand once you get to Enderium level. I have resorted to Nether quarries, as they will dig up some Nether Platinum once in a while. More reliable than pulverizing tons of Ferrous (which you need to quarry anyway) and crossing your fingers.

hehe, I'm helpful! :P (don't give me all the credit, I just pulled it from the Extra Utilities imgur album ;) )

But, yes, I personally prefer the "stable unstable" ingots. It's a less efficient use of division sigils, but with no shortage of either gold or diamonds, and about 7 spare sigils, it's not really an issue for me, and the real kicker is, unlike the unstable ingot, which can't be used in AE autocrafting (moreover, it CAN, except that you can't really create any recipes with the unstable ingot due to it exploding before being able to craft recipes with it, seeing the ingot on different stages of the countdown as different items, etc), the unstable ingot CAN be used in autocrafting, so I can setup recipes for Extra Utilities tools, and items. Portal to the deep dark, ethereal glass, etc. Worth it in my opinion.

Also, to note, if you are NOT using something like an AE system, the nuggets do NOT stack, so trying to craft a stack at a time doesn't exactly work :P

Slightly off topic, but once you tech up shiny metal is not that hard to come by.

Use your early shiny metal on a powersuit with jetpack, armor, batteries, and mob repulsor.  The item magnet helps a lot too.

Once you have these, it's fairly trivial to quickly fly around the nether and manually collect Redstone Ore and Ferrous Ore that are exposed.

(with mob repulsor, angry pigmen can be ignored completely.  With silk touch, nether ores dont explode at all)

Put these in an induction smelter with sand to get 2 standard ores.

Pulverize redstone ores to get 2 cinnibar.

Use cinnibar and ferrous ore in induction smelter to get a guaranteed shiny metal.

I'm up to 3 stacks of shiny with just a few quick trips to the nether.  Just have to play smart, not hard.  =D

-------

As for Silk Touch, try setting up a MFR mob grinder farm connected to a MFR Auto-Enchanter that is fed with Auto crafted wood pickaxes.  Takes very little effort/time to get a silk touch (I got one in under an hour) and everything you are consuming is renewable.

-------

As for Diamonds and Platinum in the nether, did those rates get turned down in the nether recently?  I know I've had good luck finding these in the past, but since 1.2.7 they've seemed EXTREMELY rare!

Extra Utilities adds some ingeniously useful stuff as well as some very quirky strangeness. A helpful fellow posted a supposedly "stable unstable" recipe >here, maybe that helps.

OMG I love you Angel Block and Builder's Wand!  These alone make modded Minecraft so much more sane without being overpowered.

Slightly off topic, but once you tech up shiny metal is not that hard to come by.

Yeah, someone else on the server has already had that idea (using a block breaker, which is like silk touch for most nether ores), and has completely cleaned out all of the obvious nether redstone ore that they could find. Once I had some (non-jetpack) mobility with a powersuit, I found some more that got me a jetpack. The problem is that now that I've lost that powersuit, the jetpack, and all the mobility it provided, so all the easy sources of redstone ore are just *gone*.

This makes shiny dust almost impossible to obtain. I still have yet to see any Ferrous Ore drop any once pulverized. I'm going to (eventually, once I finally muster up the willpower to go back on to the server after this latest complete demoralization) have to resort to pumping massive amounts of power into the drill I set up earlier. Thankfully, the Big Reactors update is *finally* available, so I can create a large source of power. I used a wonderful setup with Atomic Science in the 1.1 version of Tekkit, but I hear the 1.2 version is borked.

haha, that's awesome. I'm also using the same sort of setup to get shiny. Got a laser drill setup that has the max amount of red focus for redstone. With automated processing, I can now fill my inventory completely full of enderium ingots :D