Trying to move to no-ip vs hosting myself... Can you help me?

Like the title says. I noticed with my terribad speed test I have only had two people over the past month playing with me and as time goes by their signals drop to the point they drop out of the server and have to reconnect only to later do the same thing.

So i am trying to set up a no-ip host and I have tried setting up my router but no matter what I have tried so far when trying to join the host name it gives a

"connection failed:connect"

Port forwarded 25566 to udp and tcp (when i do port check 25565 is blocked even WITH firewall disabled) but 25566 is open and port check can see my services

added this rule to my laptops ip

downloaded the no-ip DUC

set up an account and set up a host

start up my client and have tried adding the server host name to ip address like no-ip instructs and i have tried direct connecting

adding would say the server cant be reached while direct would give connection failed:connect

I have a static ip set up to prevent ip changing (dunno if that can even affect the server)

Is it something wrong on my part?

Any help is appreciated

this is an example

on my router during the port forward i set the port forward to my laptop (192.168.29) (<---fake for demonstration)

the youtube videos tell me to keep my server properties ip blank and connect via add or direct connect to louiseaotbtserver.no-ip.org

end result: connection failed:connect

louiseaotbtserver.no-ip.org

This is the address people need to use.  It's hosted on the no-ip end and all it does is pass requests onto whatever IP you tell it from your account (that's the no-ip DUC application - you send requests from there, it checks your login info, sees what IP the request came from and sets the forwarding up to go to that).

It seems to be falling down on that first step - if I try to ping that address it fails, so either it's not been set up properly or it's not propagated yet (the internet isn't instant, DNS updates can take a day or so to get around the world so if you've only just done this then you may have to just wait a day, if it's a fake address you've given - sensible :) - then it's to be expected, but you should be able to ping it yourself).

What we have at the moment is 'ping could not find host', which means that no-ip doesn't have that address registered yet as far as the internet from my perspective can see.

If it fails when you ping that with 'request timed out' then that means it connected to the no-ip servers, got passed on, but nothing responded after that (a port forwarding or firewall issue).

This is the address people need to use.  It's hosted on the no-ip end and all it does is pass requests onto whatever IP you tell it from your account (that's the no-ip DUC application - you send requests from there, it checks your login info, sees what IP the request came from and sets the forwarding up to go to that).

It seems to be falling down on that first step - if I try to ping that address it fails, so either it's not been set up properly or it's not propagated yet (the internet isn't instant, DNS updates can take a day or so to get around the world so if you've only just done this then you may have to just wait a day, if it's a fake address you've given - sensible :) - then it's to be expected, but you should be able to ping it yourself).

What we have at the moment is 'ping could not find host', which means that no-ip doesn't have that address registered yet as far as the internet from my perspective can see.

If it fails when you ping that with 'request timed out' then that means it connected to the no-ip servers, got passed on, but nothing responded after that (a port forwarding or firewall issue).

Well I was using a fake to prevent randoms from joining but its ouraotbtserver.no-ip.org and it pings 4 times with no loss

i have also tried my own ip as well to ping and again 4 pings - 0 loss :/

Would it be possible to be t.vd to have my set up looked at? :x

or is there anymore info i need to provide?

update: its actually connection refused:connect :/ very sorry

Edited by TechnicForumMember

Yep, that pings fine, you can hide it now.  That means it's set up at the DNS end.

The next step is to doublecheck the IP matches what you're expecting (to see the no-ip DUC is working and your ISP hasn't handed off that address and I'm pinging some random person :))

When you ping it should show you your ip, then google "what is my ip" and it'll tell you before the search results what your public IP address is.  If those match, then everything is in place up to the router.

Next is the port check - you said 25565 isn't working but 25566 is?  Fine - we'll use that.  Open the server.properties file in the attack of the b-team root folder and look for this line;

server-port=25565

Change that to 25566, and you're good (if you set up port 25565 requests to go to your computer port 25566 already, if not, do that in the router).

Edit: We're drifting into territory which might be better served on the tracker soon (minecraft/bteam setup rather than generic stuff) - please let me know how that went here then we should probably move this there if we need to continue.

Edited by Loader

Yep, that pings fine, you can hide it now.  That means it's set up at the DNS end.

The next step is to doublecheck the IP matches what you're expecting (to see the no-ip DUC is working and your ISP hasn't handed off that address and I'm pinging some random person :))

When you ping it should show you your ip, then google "what is my ip" and it'll tell you before the search results what your public IP address is.  If those match, then everything is in place up to the router.

Next is the port check - you said 25565 isn't working but 25566 is?  Fine - we'll use that.  Open the server.properties file in the attack of the b-team root folder and look for this line;

server-port=25565

Change that to 25566, and you're good (if you set up port 25565 requests to go to your computer port 25566 already, if not, do that in the router).

Edit: We're drifting into territory which might be better served on the tracker soon (minecraft/bteam setup rather than generic stuff) - please let me know how that went here then we should probably move this there if we need to continue.

in the mean time i have it back to hamachi setup till my friends get off. but off-topic how would 1 change id's? is it as simple as just going into the configs n changing them?

I would like to add light doors/bridges mod but last time i tried it would give me unexpected errors.or i think id conflicts :x

It can be a very nifty mod imho

tonight i will re attempt no-ip and get back to you

The config files for each mod often have options for the id's, yeah, that's the easiest way.

There's an automated tool for resolving mismatching IDs, but it'd change them all over the place and you'd have effectively a new version of the pack everyone would have to get from you.

The config files for each mod often have options for the id's, yeah, that's the easiest way.

There's an automated tool for resolving mismatching IDs, but it'd change them all over the place and you'd have effectively a new version of the pack everyone would have to get from you.

but since i have only 2 people atm as is wouldnt it be optimum to do that anyway?

get the mods

fix ids

then just make a new rar on mega.co n have them use that folder?

from my perspective it seems a good idea now then down the road when i have 15-20+ ppl

Would you mind linking me (if its allowed) the program and a guide?

Id be very greatful

Loader PM'ed me asking me about the tool I had recommended to some in the past. Using IDFix Minus can resolve ID issues automatically and write the changes to the config files directly. If you wanted to do this in a server setup, the clients (aka: players) would need to have the identical IDs for them as well, meaning the server operator would have to provide the config changes as a download.

Loader PM'ed me asking me about the tool I had recommended to some in the past. Using IDFix Minus can resolve ID issues automatically and write the changes to the config files directly. If you wanted to do this in a server setup, the clients (aka: players) would need to have the identical IDs for them as well, meaning the server operator would have to provide the config changes as a download.

oh :) well ty and loader for getting back to me on that

so to reassure myself ur saying ill just need to provide my members with a download to a copy of my mods folder correct?

also. will it be a 1 time fix? or say if i add a new mod after i use idf ill have to re run idf if it conflicts but does that also re randomize/correct all ids=id have to re upload my entire mod folder again?

:x i hope that made sense LOL

Thanks for your input here Kalbintion - I haven't used one of those tools myself in years, all the ones I've used seem to be abandoned now.

TFM, the procedure goes like this (and you'll need to do it with every new bunch of mods you add)

1. add a mod (or bunch of mods if you prefer).
  2. check for conflicts (if no conflicts, great, you're done - tell the other guys to grab the same mod as you and they can play).
  3. if there's conflicts you'll need to change the ids, you can do it manually for one or two or just use that tool.
  4. the other users now have id mismatches - the simplest way is to just give them copies of your modded version again.

This won't work for everything - there can be conflicts other than simple item ID clashes, but that's starting to get complicated and it's in the territory of a full modpack - theres a forum specifically for those details here somewhere if it goes that far.