Quick question about setting up the smeltery

I know that the seared tank is for holding lava fuel for the smeltery and if there are multiple tanks, the smeltery controller will then pull lava from the next available tank.  My question is about Seared Glass which I know also holds lava.  Can these be used in place of the seared tanks or placed on top of the tanks and still have the smeltery pull the lava from them like it would from the tanks?  I got confused about this as the book just says that it acts like a container.  I'm trying to figure out how to build my smeltery and I think it would look cool with the glass containing the lava going up the side.  My goal is to have four lava tanks on this thing so I don't have to fill it often.

Apparently, though, I've learned that partially breaking and then rebuilding the smeltery causes it to glitch (I removed some tanks and put the glass in and the smeltery controller glitched out and no longer wants to display lava levels or anything in it when I place things in there and the little fire animation isn't going either.) also so I'm going to be tearing mine down and rebuilding it from scratch again.  So once you have your smeltery going, don't partially break it down and add new parts to it.

Edited by Blacklight9

I've not had good luck with any containers other than tanks -- and even those don't seem to work unless they are directly adjacent to the controller.  Now, maybe it's just me...

I ended up running a couple of portable tanks connected via liquiduct to my smeltery tank and that made it easier to keep lots of lava stored.

But I think you can absolutely add lava to seared glass; I just don't know if it'll pull from it like a tank.  I sort of doubt it.

I ended up running a couple of portable tanks connected via liquiduct to my smeltery tank and that made it easier to keep lots of lava stored.

This is the method that I also have used. Its the easiest to get working with any amount of lava over 8 buckets. Tanks and glass won't transfer between eachother even if stacked. I am unsure whether you can pull it from the glass. An easy test would be to set it up on a creative server and check. Let us know the results if you do. 

It worked fine for me - any of the glass versions worked the same as a tank last I tried it (even on the very first layer you didn't need a 'tank', just something that took fluid so any 'seared glass' type stuff).

This applies to any fluid - they can all have pipes pumping into/out of them if you want to hold molten metal or something that way (they're worse than TE portable tanks for that, though).