Problems with server update from 1.1.8 to 1.2.9e

Hello folks, I have a few problems with the update of my server from 1.1.8 to 1.29e (yes I know, I haven't played for half a year)

It seem like 4 mods are a bit wanky after the update:

1. Thermal expansion is the biggest problem; many blocks have simply dissappeared (machines) or changed into other blocks of Thermal expansion, same goes for the items (I somehow have creative portable tanks in survival mode now). The Thermal expansion tubes are problematic aswell, in 1.1.8 I was building a fusion reactor with my friend and we were using liquid pipes to transport the steam; now the pipes have turned into redstone pipes and dont connect to each other, same goes for the restone pipe, which has turned into a item transport pipe.

2. Backpack mod isn't working anymore, I cannot open my backpack I had in my inventory and shift+right-clicking with it on a chest crashes the client (but not the server).

3. Modular Powersuits is having similiar problems as Therman Expansion, blocks have dissappeared and items aswell; same goes for my tools.

4. I constantly see the name of a block when aiming at it, it looks like it's from NEI, but I simply can't find a way to disable it.

I hope you guys can help me with these problems, I still have the ALL old files of the 1.1.8 server, so would it be possible to copy the config? As far as I know the configs contain the item ID's, so would that work?

4. The mod is called What Am I Looking At (Waila) and can be configured with the numpad 0 key.

As for transition pains, it is recommended to abandon such ancient worlds and start over. If you absolutely must migrate, I posted the necessary links here recently. Not guaranteed to work.

4. The mod is called What Am I Looking At (Waila) and can be configured with the numpad 0 key.

As for transition pains, it is recommended to abandon such ancient worlds and start over. If you absolutely must migrate, I posted the necessary links here recently. Not guaranteed to work.

4. Okay, thanks.

Ugh... guess I will start over then, don't want to risk any bugs or something like that... will just be a lot to do...

Why did they even change so many IDs? Will this happen again when we reach Tekkit 1.3.x ? Or even 1.2.10 ?

So many things changed from the 1.1.x version that it could be tough to convert. There are multiple types of energy cells and portable tanks, and single tesseracts can do everything now instead of needing separate ones for energy, items, and fluids. In some cases of minor changes if you still had the items in your inventory you could put them in a crafting bench and they would update to the new versions.

BC "engines" no longer power TE machines. Use "dynamos" instead until you have resources for a Big Reactor or something. I actually use a number of biofuel generators to power my machines and ME network (a patch of netherwarts on my roof with harvester, planter, bioreactor keeps that automatically supplied). I only use Big Reactor (or now smaller one with 20K RF/t turbine) when running my laser drill.

To my knowledge, we had two major changes in Tekkit so far. First, the transition from old Minecraft 1.2.5, which can still be played as "Tekkit Classic". Then more recently the transition from Minecraft 1.5.2 to 1.6.4 (Tekkit 1.1 to 1.2), which is the one you are experiencing now. Most mods need to be overhauled and partly rewritten on each of those transitions, and many mod authors take the time to make (compatibility-breaking) modifications as well while they're at it. Some have lost interest and fail to deliver the update altogether, so modpacks have to look for replacements, which of course break compatibility with older worlds in even worse ways.

For instance, when IndustrialCraft failed to update, it was replaced with Thermal Expansion, which has proven to be an excellent choice. What's more, the already-good Thermal Expansion 2 (Minecraft 1.5.2) was rewritten in version 3 (Minecraft 1.6.4) with a completely new power system called Redstone Flux. Other mods have adapted to it, and it works very fine as one of Tekkit's core components now. The price for this innovation is breaking compatibility with old worlds and old milestone builds. The majority of the Tekkit community is fine with these disruptions. You can't have real innovation and full backwards compatibility, something has to give. Of course none of us is happy having to convert worlds or rebuild our stuff in new ones, but there is always something good to make it worth the effort, too.

The upcoming, but not imminent, transition to Minecraft 1.7.2 (probably Tekkit 1.3, but not announced yet) may be another breaking point. But for each annoyance, I'm sure we will also be given great new things to play with.

Edited by Curunir