what happend to tekkit

omripo

Hi, i havent played tekkit for a really long time and when i downloaded tekkit from the technic luncher i saw that there was a big mods change and a lot of the mods that i really loved and for me, made tekkit to what it was, where gone.

then i noticed that there is "tekkit classic" and "tekkit lite" and i really dont get it.

if the people who created tekkit wanted to do that big changes to it, why wont they just make another modpack and leave tekkit as it is? 

and when downloaded the "tekkit classic" from the technic luncher' i saw that it runs on a really old version of minecraft. im really pissed of by this things and really dont get why they stopped upgrading tekkit classic to the newst version of minecraft...

if someone has any asnwers for me i would be more that happy to hear. 

Tekkit Classic and Tekkit Lite are indeed no longer updated as some of the mods in those packs are either dead in the water or operating on a wildly different development schedule from the rest of the pack's mods. It's unfortunate but I assure you Tekkit v1.2.9e for MC 1.6.4 is quite nice to play with. If you prefer the older versions then I'm afraid you're stuck with playing on far older versions of MC unless you're a mod pack making guru of some kind.

The big sticking point was removal of IC2 and making BC pretty much defunct in-pack.

For the most part everything is still in the pack that you remember, just under slightly different designs.

Very much this, although BC is still fairly useful with its machines (yes they have more than one useful machine :P ). Losing IC2 was indeed quite painful from a power generation standpoint as it took away solar panel arrays and nuclear reactors. It also deprived us of stupidly fast processing machines, quantum armor, and the ever amusing mining laser (scatter mode ftw). Tekkit's current mix of mods however pretty much replaces all of these to one extent or another.

I for one am quite hapy with the sustainable power options in tekkit as is. In fact my reactors are wildly resource positive running drills, and their runoff maintains a base reactor and then some. Need more drills though.

Was quantum armour that much better than power armour?

Tekkit was based off Minecraft 1.2.5 for a long time, and it could not move on because several key mods failed to update to newer versions. So when the transition came, dead mods had to fall by the wayside. Most prominently, those were Equivalent Exchange 2 and IndustrialCraft 2. The latter somehow still drags along and lives in other modpacks, but there is no good way for it to be brought back to Tekkit. Its functional heir, Thermal Expansion, is way better at most things anyway.

I think there is nobody who was happy with the changes at first sight, but many, if not most of us have moved on and embraced the new mods and concepts. It will be easier to treat this as a new modpack, not trying to apply old recipes. It's a fresh start, and Tekkit is better right now than it has been in the past.

If you must have the old stuff, Tekkit Classic is still around and somewhat frozen in amber. You will miss out all of the cool new stuff if you stick to that, but it is of course an option. Old (Minecraft 1.2.5) Tekkit worlds should convert to Classic and work there.

I have never fully understood the point of Tekkit Lite. It is a halfway transition between old and new, and just about as dead and static as Classic is, just with a slightly newer collection of mods.

As for learning the new ways, look into Thermal Expansion and Minefactory Reloaded to get yourself set up, then build yourself a small Yellorium Reactor to power everything. Unlike IC2 reactors, these are fairly safe and friendly.

Edited by Curunir

Unlike IC2 reactors, these are fairly safe and friendly.

And if you think 'safe and friendly' means 'for casuals' there's still Atomic Science where the reactors can melt down and/or kill you with radiation.