Getting Started in Tekkit

Maxzn

Hello Guys.

I have just downloaded the TechnicLauncher and the Tekkit modpack. I'm very interested in Tekkit because I want to try something new in Minecraft. The problem is, I have absolutely no Idea how to get started. I have googled for some guides, but I can only find starter guides for TekkitClassic. So i have some questions, maybe you can help me. :)

What should I do first when I start up a brand new Tekkit world?

Which Materials do I have to gather?

What can I do / try to build to get familiar with all the mods and their possibilities?

Thanks in advance :)

The wiki is your friend for the most part so don't be afraid to use it :P

The primary mod in the pack is undoubtedly Thermal Expansion 3, which handles pretty much everything from power generation to materials processing and routing. I'd advise playing around with that a bit and then moving on to things like Buildcraft quarries for mining, Applied Energistics for storage and crafting, and Big Reactors for large scale power generation.

You won't find much in the way of guides for Tekkit in general so you need to just get the hang of specific mods in the pack. If you're looking for mod guides I highly recommend the Mindcrafters. There's another group out there too but I can't seem to recall it for the life of me so I'm sure someone will post it up.

Edited by Digdug83

Look here: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

and here:   '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Go for TE then MFR and then some more MFR and finally AE  and other ;)

Don't forget MPS and RA.

Grind Stone is very helpful at the start.

Edit: Remember the chunk loading.

Edited by bochen415

Welcome to Tekkit. The mod selection makes for a game that can be played for months, but you'll have to make your own goals. Learning how stuff works is part of the game, so while it's a good idea to look up some guides, try and find out things ingame for yourself, too. Your primary tool is Not Enough Items (NEI), which will come up every time you open any inventory and is basically a complete list of all ingame items. You can filter it with the search box at the bottom, and you can hover over an item and press R to be shown how the item is crafted. Not everything has a recipe, but that way you won't have to constantly switch to the wiki, which is not up-to-date on all things anyway.

I remember when my friend started to play on a tekkit server with me first time and found some oil...

He stood there (in the game) , the oil was flowing and kept pushing him aside, no keyboard activity was visible at that time, then his characters head was starting to swing from me to the oil and me again. We used skype at that time and there was no sounds coming from him at all.

Then he started.. Ekhm... your 'tekkit' is bugged... My water texture is broken....

Then was the 'Really?! Oil?!.....' conversation.

Good times.

Welcome Maxzn to tekkit.

You have started a new era in minecraft.

One suggestion:

If you don't want to find out how the issue tracker works make mandatory backups of your singleplayer world ('saves' directory).

One suggestion:

If you don't want to find out how the issue tracker works make mandatory backups of your singleplayer world ('saves' directory).

Good suggestion. Always make backups of things that break easily.

Don't get too excited about the oil, though. Any self-respecting Tekkiteer will go nuclear early.

The Nuclear option: The ONLY option :D

True. Although I'm also for testing a little bit all machines and not keeping only one path to the endgame. This is a sandbox game. All the paths are good.

I had some trouble with the Deep Dark (chunk resets on ender chest/tesseract) and my early game level experience with fuel saved me.

Yeah, that was a joke and referring to the weapon, not an opinion about power production. Curunir saying 'go nuclear' is what prompted it, as in 'going nuclear'...you know what, nevermind. If I have to explain it's not funny anymore.

Yeah, that was a joke and referring to the weapon, not an opinion about power production. Curunir saying 'go nuclear' is what prompted it, as in 'going nuclear'...you know what, nevermind. If I have to explain it's not funny anymore.

Crap. Misunderstood. Nvm

Let's stay on topic.

What can I do / try to build to get familiar with all the mods and their possibilities?

Set NEI to recipe mode. That way you can left/right click an item and you'll get recipe for the item / recipes containing that item. Not spawning them like in creative (if in singleplayer).

Press E then go to options -> inventory -> change cheat mode to recipe mode.

I go for lockmode in the NEI config file not to get tempted changing it back to cheat mode.

Crap. Misunderstood. Nvm

Let's stay on topic.

Set NEI to recipe mode. That way you can left/right click an item and you'll get recipe for the item / recipes containing that item. Not spawning them like in creative (if in singleplayer).

Press E then go to options -> inventory -> change cheat mode to recipe mode.

I go for lockmode in the NEI config file not to get tempted changing it back to cheat mode.

I discovered a better way to stop yourself from being tempted to cheat! If you do it the following way, you cannot gift yourself items unless you come out of the game completely and modify a cfg file.

1. Go to your Tekkit folder (C:Users[username]AppDataRoaming.technicmodpackstekkitmainconfig

2. Open NEI.cfg with Notepad

3. Search for "lockmode" and change the entry from -1 to 0.

4. Repeat step 3 (there are two lockmode entries you need to change to 0).

5. Save the file.

6. Load up a game in tekkit and you should find that NEI is now locked into recipe mode only. This applies to both creative and survival modes.

• Moderators

Nice tip on the NEI locking. Sometimes it's just really tempting. Like when I discovered pink slime is needed for laser drill pre-chargers. Makes no sense, and I've never seen a pink slime. Discovered the slaughter machine though.