Severe Error => Server Crash

Phyroxis

Question

We've been running pretty solid since we setup Tekkit 1.1.4. Ever since we started using the Ender chests, though, we get occasional server crashes. Incidentally the errors (code below) are always preceded by the location of one of either of our two Ender chests.

Curiously.. we suspect it might have to do with the fact that all of our chests have a tendency to stay stuck open, and we know that the Ender chests can't be moved when open.. perhaps the system is trying to save/do something with them and is prevented from doing so because they're open?

Anyone know why some of our chests randomly stay open or how to fix that? Or how to fix the crash below in general?

2012-02-12 15:09:51 [iNFO] Sending Chest Desc-491,63,-295 on 0

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.api.EntityPassiveItem.toEntityItem(EntityPassiveItem.java:91)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.moveSolids(PipeTransportItems.java:216)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.updateEntity(PipeTransportItems.java:132)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.Pipe.updateEntity(Pipe.java:98)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.TileGenericPipe.l_(TileGenericPipe.java:99)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.World.tickEntities(World.java:1171)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:524)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:431)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:457)

2012-02-12 15:10:22 [sEVERE] Unexpected exception

java.lang.NullPointerException

at buildcraft.api.EntityPassiveItem.toEntityItem(EntityPassiveItem.java:91)

at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.moveSolids(PipeTransportItems.java:216)

at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.updateEntity(PipeTransportItems.java:132)

at buildcraft.transport.Pipe.updateEntity(Pipe.java:98)

at buildcraft.transport.TileGenericPipe.l_(TileGenericPipe.java:99)

at net.minecraft.server.World.tickEntities(World.java:1171)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:524)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:431)

at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:457)

7 answers to this question

the best idea i can offer you is to copy your world over to single player and figure out whats stopping up your pipes. this could be reallly difficult if you have a lot of people on your server and you dont know where they all have pipes. if your problem could exist in the nether, you can take the DIM-1 folder out of the (default world_nether) folder and put it into your main world folder when you copy it over to single player. just remember to move it back to the nether folder when you put that back on your server. its a fairly technical solution so keep back ups of your world just in case you break it. if you have questions you can PM me or just reply in this thread.

Thank you so much Kysoto, moving the world to ssp made me able to fix the same issue :) I tried downloading the fix, that Maeyanie has supplied, but I'm not very experienced with modding, so I'm not sure I implemented it correctly. In my brief experience with these forums, that seems to be a common case: Too little tutorial/how-to in easy steps for things for the beginners. But that's just seen from my inexperienced viewpoint. On the other hand, this awesome modding work you are doing, makes up for a little waiting and trial/error form our side :)