Large Biomes: Performance Hindrance?

DicheBach

Question for Plow or anyone who might know: are large biomes generally avoided on servers for performance issues?

Have noticed that all the worlds on circlecraft (well the CC and JC worlds) have small biomes. I tend to prefer large biomes, and have a nice singleplayer game going in JClite with large biomes.

I have noticed some lag issues in the JCLite game, most notably when I run at tops speed in a jungle biome (lots of stuff I guess?). Also the 'tears' or whatever they are that occur (the black chasms that you cannot cross and only seem to be able to fix by relogging) seem a bit more common than with small biomes.

• Discord Moderator
  • Try changing the value of "cleanuptime" in the jcliteconfigChickenChunks.cfg file to 0 (zero).
  • Like most 1.6.4+ packs that are large-ish, worldgen can be an HUGE load on the system. SSP basically runs a tiny server on your local system behind the client for you to play on. Moving rapidly creates a lot of worldgen (when in new areas) and can cause significant load. Try changing that value in the first bullet point and see if you have better results.

Wow 1200 default to zero. That is a big change.

Sure will try that!

Up till now it hasn't been crippling, kind of intermittent, but maybe that will make it go away completely. I also upped my allocated memory to 4GB in the launcher a while back and that seems to have helped with the intermittent lag I was sometimes getting.