How to install GLSL shaders in Tekkit

So I finally got daxnitro's shaders, including Sonic Ether's shaders, to work:

[img width=600]

More screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/hjW1d

The following are the steps I took to install the shaders on my Mac. I don't know what differences there will be for PC/Linux users.

1. First you'll need to copy bk.class, ep.class, and ey.class from minecraft.jar into modpack.jar.

2. Download the installer from daxnitro's thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/120261-125-glsl-shaders-dof-bump-mapping-waving-wheat-dynamic-shadows-and-more/

3. Download the shaders for 1.1 from his repo: http://nitrous.daxnitro.com/repo/

4. Open the installer and right-click and disable any selected mods.

5. Go to File > Import and select the Shaders.n2 file you downloaded from the repo.

6. Go to Options and select modpack.jar from your Tekkit folder. For Mac users, it should be /Users/username/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher/tekkit/bin/modpack.jar

7. Click Install

Have you checked first that none of the classes you're adding to modpack.jar are already in modpack.jar? Because if you replace any files at all in modpack.jar, you're breaking shit, and it might not be immediately obvious.

No file in modpack.jar is base: Every file in there is a class that has been modified with additional code that Technic needs.

Have you checked first that none of the classes you're adding to modpack.jar are already in modpack.jar? Because if you replace any files at all in modpack.jar, you're breaking shit, and it might not be immediately obvious.

No file in modpack.jar is base: Every file in there is a class that has been modified with additional code that Technic needs.

I selected and copied all the class files from minecraft.jar, but chose not to replace any when pasting them into modpack.jar. So no, none of the class files that are in modpack.jar should be overwritten.

Which class files are needed exactly? And do I need them from the original (unmodded) minecraft.jar (from tekkit or Vanilla Minecraft) ?

The class files come from Tekkit's minecraft.jar, but I don't know that the class files from vanilla won't work. I don't actually have a list of which class files are necessary. I don't see any harm in copying all of the class files that aren't already in modpack.jar, but I'll try to make a list of required class files tomorrow.

Wait, what? You shouldn't be touching minecraft.jar at all for any reason.

Or are you saying you manually merged classes to make them compatible? In which case, you still shouldn't be touching minecraft.jar, because those are untouched base classes. The only time you need to merge classes is if they are already present in modpack.jar.

Wait, what? You shouldn't be touching minecraft.jar at all for any reason.

Or are you saying you manually merged classes to make them compatible? In which case, you still shouldn't be touching minecraft.jar, because those are untouched base classes. The only time you need to merge classes is if they are already present in modpack.jar.

I didn't modify minecraft.jar, nor did I modify any class files in modpack.jar. I copied some class files from minecraft.jar to modpack.jar.

Thank you! It finally worked...for SP :)

When I try to join a server I get the following error:

java.lang.nullpointerexception

Any ideas?

I think it has to do with META-INF. Assuming I am correct on how modpack.jar and minecraft.jar are used, you need to delete the contents of the META-INF folder in modpack.jar if you are using Windows. If you are using OS X, delete only MOJANG_C.sf and MOJANG_C.dsa. Correct me if I am wrong, jakj.

You are wrong. You never touch minecraft.jar: The launcher merges the contents of minecraft.jar and modpack.jar at runtime. This separation allows for better maintenance of baseclass overrides without fucking up the works.

If you CHANGE a class from minecraft.jar, you put it in modpack.jar. Otherwise you do nothing. There is no point at all to copying something out of minecraft.jar that you do not change.

You are wrong. You never touch minecraft.jar: The launcher merges the contents of minecraft.jar and modpack.jar at runtime. This separation allows for better maintenance of baseclass overrides without fucking up the works.

If you CHANGE a class from minecraft.jar, you put it in modpack.jar. Otherwise you do nothing. There is no point at all to copying something out of minecraft.jar that you do not change.

That's exactly what he's doing. The shader mods modify some of the classes that are not in the modpack.jar. What happened is that since Dr_Eckleberg didn't take the time to only grab the classes that needed to be modified, he just grabbed all the unmodded ones from minecraft.jar, slapped em in modpack.jar (without overwriting any existing modded classes in modpack.jar) and let the shader installer do its thing.

What I'd do is just let the installer tell me what to grab. Or, you could probably just do a "date modified" sort after doing what Dr_Eckleberg did and delete the ones that weren't modified by the shaders.

hey there, first i´d like to thank you for your work.

it worked, for about 5 seconds... then i get white-screens with no error every time.

someone knows how to fix that ? ( windows user )

Could be that your computer can't actually run it.

When i install it i get this error

using 1.1 tekkit

Found mod Shaders

Starting installation

Creating backup

Unpacking JAR

==== Installing Shaders ====

Optifine detected.

==== Shaders Successfully Installed ====

Repacking JAR

Fatal error!

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\philip\AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\tekkit\bin\modpack.jar (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at daxnitro.nitrous.FileUtility.packJar(FileUtility.java:29)

at daxnitro.nitrous.InstallThread.repackJAR(InstallThread.java:163)

at daxnitro.nitrous.InstallThread.run(InstallThread.java:46)

I'm getting the same problem where I can load a world for a couple of seconds with them but after that it goes all white screen and crashes seemingly without an error. I highly doubt it has anything to do with my PC's performance or anything like that. Any help?

When i install it i get this error

using 1.1 tekkit

Found mod Shaders

Starting installation

Creating backup

Unpacking JAR

==== Installing Shaders ====

Optifine detected.

==== Shaders Successfully Installed ====

Repacking JAR

Fatal error!

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\philip\AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\tekkit\bin\modpack.jar (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)

at daxnitro.nitrous.FileUtility.packJar(FileUtility.java:29)

at daxnitro.nitrous.InstallThread.repackJAR(InstallThread.java:163)

at daxnitro.nitrous.InstallThread.run(InstallThread.java:46)

Close Minecraft. You are trying to install it while it's open.

I'm getting the same problem where I can load a world for a couple of seconds with them but after that it goes all white screen and crashes seemingly without an error. I highly doubt it has anything to do with my PC's performance or anything like that. Any help?

Try changing your render distance. I had mine set to far, and was experiencing the same issue. Then set it to normal and it's been a-okay since.

reason for .classes from minecraft.jar: The installer needs to have em to overwrite em, it will give a damn if they aren't there. You are not overwriting anything from modpack.jar, don't worry.

EDIT: nothing happened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...