Ore deposits/veins

Neowulf

A prospector's mod.

Group the map chunks into 9x9 groups, in a grid based off 0,0,0. Each of these chunk groups has a small chance of having a deposit or vein in it, determined randomly and created when prospector's tools are used in the area. All the chunks in a group have to be generated before prospecting will work.

The deposit can spawn in one of three general depths, spawns a random distance from the center of the chunk group (stays contained in the group), and will only overwrite natural stone and dirt (not cobble, air blocks, and if possible placed stone/dirt).

Maybe one possible deposit per depth?

Config for the mod includes rarity, size, and depth settings for each possible ore type.

Prospector's tools: crafted with a glass bottle, an ink sac, a feather, a book, a cobble pick, and a cobble shovel. 64 uses, and can be repaired with a new shovel and pick in a shapeless crafting recipe.

Use invokes a cooldown period where trying to use the tools again will just report "You are still recording your previous findings, wait another minute."

The first time used in a chunk group it will check only the shallow layer and report it's findings. The second use will check the middle layer, and the third the deep layer. If a vein is found in the layer it's checking, it will report a deposit is found and give a general direction.

After all the depths are searched, any subsequent tool uses will just report the previous findings.

I think this would be an awesome addition to both SSP and SMP. SSP gives you another reason to explore, setup outposts, and a transportation system. In SMP a person could make it big with a lucky strike, and would give people a reason to defend an area.

It also would play nice with any mods that altered chunk generation.

Freaking amazing idea

Obviously ask for permission to use any of the code, but Equivalent Exchange has the divining rod which does just about this exact same thing. Gives you 3 numbers back based on the 3 highest energy values (in equivalent exchange terms) of what is in that direction. Can be used for a 3x3x3 range, 3x3x16, or 3x3x64.

Obviously ask for permission to use any of the code, but Equivalent Exchange has the divining rod which does just about this exact same thing. Gives you 3 numbers back based on the 3 highest energy values (in equivalent exchange terms) of what is in that direction. Can be used for a 3x3x3 range, 3x3x16, or 3x3x64.

Well, completely different actually...

The idea is to have the mod keep a simple database of chunk groups. When someone uses the prospector tools it first checks to see if the area has been checked before, if not then run the deposit generation code. If the group has been checked, look up the vein info on the table and return the results.

This isn't a block finder. All information is pulled from a list of deposits the mod has generated, and if the deposit is mined out then it will still tell you a deposit was found in the area.

Checking an area would report in the past tense, so if a vein has been mined out it's still a valid observation that a vein was discovered.

There is a bukkit plugin called MineralVein.

It allows you to control the size, frequenty, height, density (1 big lump or spread out ores).

It also is posible te make them spawn in biomes of your choise or increase the frequenty in a certain biome.

If you want to you can also generate other blocks underground.

I for axemple have a 0.5% chance for ores to turn into their block version

so a gold ore can become a gold block. you can also have ores spawn together like coal near diamonds or you could indicate its precense with a certain stone type like cracked brick or prety much everything.

this also works with mod ores/blocks. this way i have a world where every thing is rare but if you find it you find +/- 300 of it depending on the ore

gold, diamonds and uranium are smaller groups.

Therefore i think this is an amazing plugin that allows you to do control ore generation on smp with a large amount of control.

I do have to warn its a bit hard to use in the begining but you can let it regenerate al the ores and delete the old one with a simple command.

It does this by reseting al ores with stone and than replacing the stone it doesent replace airblocks. and therefore keeps your world intact if you want to convert.

minimr, that sounds quite similar to better ore distribution but with even more options. Any idea if it works with all "ores", including Forge ore dictionary and perhaps even stuff like TC crystals or cinnabar?

[edit]

Assuming I understood it right it should support forge ores indeed. Now if it would only be possible to get it to work with SSP ...

Very interesting plugin, I'll have to check it out.

I believe I read the bukkit team is helping mojang with the new client/server setup, maybe that means the 1.3 server will support a plugin system by default.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...