"Minecraft Enhanced" 256x Technic Support - Humble Beginnings

jakj

So, there's this neat HD texture pack called "Minecraft Enhanced", that I just wanted to add a few things to. (NOT full Technic support.) Basically, just the stuff that's jarring: It's weird to see 16x-textured ores in a wall full of otherwise 256x textures. But stuff that's separate (like machines and pipes and trees and what-not) actually looks fine to me, so all that's needed is some small tweaks, so I edited it below.

The problem is...my FPS drops to single digits when using a pack with mod textures in it, whereas it's at 30-60 with just the vanilla pack. (This is using Minecraft 1.2.5 with smooth Optifine, the 256x pack, and 64-bit Java on Windows 7 64-bit.) I tried the 128x Sphax (which is still 1.1 of course, but it was good to test) and I got a similar framerate drop.

So, my question is this: Does anyone know why? Is it the overhead of switching back and forth between 16x and 256x textures? Meaning, do I have to upscale every single texture file in the entire modpack to 256x to get my framerate back? Or is it just an issue with the new Minecraft+Optifine?

Anyway, comparison images below (open the images directly to see them at full resolution): All I did are the ores. (I know the look of Cinnabar is drastically different; If I can get this working, I may try to do a better job on that, but for now I wanted to just use simple HSL changes to make the textures and not have to edit entire new textures.)

Parent texture pack for vanilla (not made by me): "Minecraft Enhanced" by "cferril1" (No direct link right now because he adf.ly'd it.)

[img width=800]

[img width=800]

Re: "Minecraft Enhanced" Addon for Technic - The Good News And The Bad News

Looks really nice. I think I'd get confused with all the ores looking pretty much the same except for color, but who knows, maybe I'd get used to it.

I don't know exactly what the problem is for sure, but I've experience the same thing even with 64x, 128x, and 32x Texture packs. I think you are right that the problem lies in the 16x textures having to be combined by optifine. And I'm not really sure we can blame Optifine here either, it's a sure thing that textures were never supposed to be combined in the first place. Having a GPU render out two different type of textures has got to be jarring. Some kind of voodoo magic is at work that even allows it in the first place.

It'd be a lot of work, but I think it would be best for you just to upscale everything with a batch program and see if it helps, unless someone else has a better idea of what's going on.

Doesn't answer why the 256x texture pack works fine when the only thing in it is vanilla textures.

I wonder if it would work to put the textures in the jar instead...

No luck yet. I'm going to keep fiddling with it, though. But unless it's a bug/limitation with Optifine or Forge that can eventually be corrected, there will be no good solution, even if there is -a- solution, because it will involve extra steps that go beyond the fundamental concept of Technic (that it "just works").

If you feel up to it, though, you should experiment two. N heads are better than 1, for all N >= 2.

I'd give it a try if I had a computer capable of running 256x textures. Integrated graphics can only do so much. *stares at his GTX 275 he still doesn't have a PSU for*

I don't know what the crap is going on. I really don't. No matter what I do, when I first load the world after opening Minecraft, it's fine, but then, after a varying amount of time, my framerate drops to 2-5, and only completely exitting Minecraft and restarting it will restore the normal framerate (until it drops again).

All mod textures normal, HD texture pack installed that modifies only vanilla textures: No frame drops.

Add upscaled mod textures to texture pack: Framerate drops after only a few seconds of moving around.

Switch from Smooth Optifine to plain Optifine: Gives maybe another 30 seconds extra before the framerate drops.

Put upscaled textures in mod .zip/.jar files instead of texture pack: Framerate doesn't drop for a minute or two.

Delete textures from texture pack and mod .zip/.jar files entirely and just put them in minecraft.jar: Framerate takes almost five minutes to drop but still does.

What in the ever-loving doublefuck. :-( Some combination of Optifine, Forge, and overall Minecraft crappy coding is causing this. The only thing I have not tried is upscaling every single texture in every single file, because that's just annoying. If someone wants to write a batch or bash script to use GIMP or ImageMagick to walk a full directory tree and upscale its .png contents, that would be great; Otherwise, I may just give up.

It just has to be something to do with sending the textures through Forge's texture-provider code, because vanilla textures do work fine. And I've never heard of this happening with Minecraft and stuff like Sphax before, so either it's a new issue in the 1.2 branch with Optifine, or it does have to do with residuual 16x textures.

Anyway, I've attached the files I did, just for fun, in case anyone wants to try.

forestry-client-A-1.4.4.4

industrialcraft-2client_1.95b

RedPowerWorld-2.0pr5b1

ThaumCraft2.1.5a

http://j-a-k-j.com/StuffForMinecraftEnhanced.zip

(This is for the version he released just before the most recent one, so you may not want to overwrite the terrain.png. The only changes I made are to make iron less reddish (to not be confused with copper) and to make gold brighter.)

How is the memory usage during and before the slowdown? I generally get such lag when something leaks memory and GC is run constantly

Still a couple gigs unallocated by the VM, and a couple gigs beyond that free to the OS. GPU memory runs high, but it does that anyway, and having to use system RAM as a supplement cuts me down to only about 30-40 fps anyway.

It is interesting, though, that my CPU usage spikes to about 75% on all four cores, which really shouldn't happen, because Minecraft is primarily single-threaded. So that could be an indicator of something going on. (Needless to say, this is an issue only in Minecraft, not in any other game.)

This is rather frustrating. If anybody still has a 1.1 installation lying around, try using an HD pack like Sphax but go into the .zip and delete a bunch of the textures so they revert to the 16x, and see what happens.

I want to know if this is an issue new for 1.2 or if it's been there all along, but I'm too busy playing stuff right now to do it myself. Aid me, my minions.

How is the memory usage during and before the slowdown? I generally get such lag when something leaks memory and GC is run constantly

GIVE THIS GUY A FUCKING MEDAL OH MY GOD

I figured it out! The extra memory usage and processor power required during worldgen, plus the extra memory and processor power required for an HD texture pack, plus the extra memory and processor power required by having Optifine's "Dynamic Updates" on, equals molasses in January.

So, try this: Allocate as much ram as your machine physically can handle while Minecraft is open (minus what the other programs you use with Minecraft open need), and make sure Dynamic Updates is OFF. (If you are the kind of person who ends up getting lag spikes with more RAM allocated -without- an HD pack installed, then you're probably out of luck.)

What this seems to do is give it the extra scratch space it needs, and Dyanamic Updates being off makes sure it's not overloaded. (It IS absolutely possible that you can get this working with less RAM...try it.)

But hey! HD texture pack, with partial mod support, working in 1.2.5. Yay! I'm a happy boy.

I've been doing a little more work on this, just for shits and giggles, and I'm interested to know what people think. (Use your browser's "View Image Directly" functionality to see them at full resolution.) These are still Minecraft Enhanced textures that I've modified with GIMP and Google Images.

Coal, copper, tin, iron, silver, gold:

[img width=400]

Diamond, lapis, redstone, nikolite, ruby, emerald, sapphire (top):

[img width=400]

Cobbled basalt, smooth basalt, and bricked basalt:

[img width=400]

Smooth marble and bricked marble:

[img width=400]

Redpower rubber tree, external view:

[img width=400]

Redpower rubber tree, internal view:

[img width=400]

Just what do people expect me to do about diamond and nikolite? Vanilla 16x they're even harder to differentiate. I can't exactly write their names in dust on them.

maybe I'm confused. Are you adding mod support to minecraft enhanced?

if the answer is yes, then you can change the colors. diamond should be a nice bright, airy blue while nikolite should be a dark grimy teal.

if the answer is no: then I am confused as to what you are doing.

also, the thing that all texture packs really need is connected textures on glass microblocks. just sayin'

I can change the colors to anything, but I didn't find anything that was distinct enough that still looked like the thing it was supposed to be. Show me something that's the color you mean, or give the hex value or something, and I can set it to that.

.. Not in hexadecimal numbers, but if you're in a cave and see Nikolite, you think it's diamond, and not get out the trusty ol' pick colour from Paint and see what value it is.

or you can look at:

Like this?

DjLDZ.png

which is perfect by the way. I went back through some colors. #bbeeff would also probably look good. it's a little purer. seems more diamondy. also, it says beef.