.jar not working

matthewtyson

Question

I just got windows 7 64-bit running. Installed jre7 x64, then downloaded the technic launcher (.jar file). When I run it, the cmd prompt pops up for a blink of an eye and disappears, and nothing happens. Tried the .exe file and the very first time I ran it, it said "updating" or something and then closed. When I run it now, it says "checking launcher version" for about a quarter second and then closes. The only file in .techniclauncher is the .jar file.

Launcher/pack Version: http://mirror.technicpack.net/files/technic-launcher-latest.jar

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version of Java: JRE7 64-bit

Description of Problem: cmd prompt pops up then closes, followed by nothing

Antivirus program: Microsoft Security Essentials

Error Messages: n/a

Link to pastebin of log: n/a

edit1: Realized I forgot to get 7u4 after i made this. Installed it and nothing changed.

7 answers to this question

Tried a few things.

1) Completely uninstalled every version of java on my computer and reinstalled ONLY JRE7 (64-bit), followed by JRE7u4(64-bit). I had to do some shenanigans in the registry (detailed here) afterwards because, upon uninstalling java, my right click > open with menu bugged out. It now works, however I still have the original problem (blank cmd prompt pops up, followed by nothing).

2) Deleted .techniclauncher folder and tried running a fresh download of the .jar file followed by the .exe file. The .jar file literally did nothing (didn't even create the folder again), and the exe only created the folder and the .jar inside it. No other files or folders.

Ahh... Did you try running the jar through java? Just right click the .jar, select open with, and find "Java platform SE Binary" (Or similar) Should pop open the launcher just fine.

Also, please don't double post. It is annoying.

So I've waited a good while to see if anyone had any ideas, finally gave up waiting. I went and copied my entire .techniclauncher directory from my old harddrive (found some spare sata cables laying around) and put it straight into this new harddrive.

Same problem. Apparently it is not creating any logs either. I've tried every version of java I could think of that would be relevant, including jre7, jre7u4, jre6, jre6u32, and jre6u29 (what my old harddrive has), of both the 32-bit and 64-bit varieties of every version. I'd like to note that this all works fine and dandy on my old harddrive.

I only installed the operating system on this drive about a week ago. Can anyone try to help me backtrack to what went wrong, if anything? I don't know where to look.

Does regular Minecraft work - I mean, without the launcher or anything? If so, you may have something blocking write access or executables in that particular folder. If not, I'd bet on something wrong with Java. Try the executable again after your last Java reinstall.

Try running a batch file with the launcher using Java and a second line that has "pause" (no quotes) in it, and see if there's an error message. Modify the server launcher batch file to use the Technic launcher .jar if you're not sure how to make one.

Vanilla minecraft works fine, I even have a special java shortcut for running it with 64-bit:

target:"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

start in: "C:\Users\M. Tyson\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin"

I'm not sure what could be blocking write access / executables. I only have Microsoft Security Essentials, and whatever came with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). UAC is disabled, and I tried letting the program through windows firewall (as well as completely disabling the firewall), but that didn't work. I took a cursory glance through properties and couldn't really find anything strange.

The batch file worked. 

java -Xmx3G -Xms2G -jar technic-launcher-latest.jar nogui

pause

Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you Thank you thank you thank you.